Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Tow Rig/DD

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by rodzzilla, Sep 1, 2004.

1. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have added the wheels/tires and changed it over to the painted 94 up grille and painted bumper. Really helped the looks of the old girl. Still have a few more things to do, eventially. Need to get rolling on the trail rig. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Nice truck! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Looks like a 454.. Correct? I like those wheels on that truck too.

John

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Looks nice Rod. How she do on gas?

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks nice Rod. How she do on gas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Loves every bit she can get her greedly little valves on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I havn't checked it since I bought it. But with a plugged air filter and lousy plugs, it got 12 coming back from Worthington, MN when I bought it. I have tuned it up since then, and will be putting a better muffler on it soon. Hope to get it up around 15, if I can control my right foot. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

454/NV4500. 4.56's. The wheels/tires and changing the grille and front bumper did wonders for the looks. Still needs some TLC, but it is in decent shape for what it is and the age.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    454/NV4500. 4.56's.

[/ QUOTE ] My '98 1 ton dually has the vortec 454/nv4500 combo and I like it. I also haven't checked my mileage but I know it's better than my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. cybrfire

There's the problem. That NV4500 isn't helping at all. I'll pull it for ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

WOW! That is so nice of you Kert! What a friend!

I think I will SUFFER through it for a while longer, though.

I do wish it was the Vortec 454, though. I wanted a Crew Cab, but couldn't find a decent one in the price range. Plus the kids are getting old enough they can strap themselves into the back. My youngest wants to ride up front in the middle so she can help me shift /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif (remember, no airbags in 93. And it is only during in-town driving Didn't want any child endangerment claims. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I push in the clutch, and she moves the lever. She does pretty good for a 5yr old.

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wanted a Crew Cab, but couldn't find a decent one in the price range. Plus the kids are getting old enough they can strap themselves into the back. My youngest wants to ride up front in the middle so she can help me shift /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif (remember, no airbags in 93.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is when the crewcab really helps. They have their own door to get in and out of. Followed the same route your on. Started with ext cabs, now have subs and crewcabs.

FWIW, my '00 doesn't have airbags either /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    454/NV4500. 4.56's.

[/ QUOTE ]
    hhehehe that would'nt smok'em or anything would it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

That is why I kept the old tires. Just such an occasion might just arise. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There's the problem. That NV4500 isn't helping at all. I'll pull it for ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I rent shop space, and my landlady's son just knocked out 5th gear from his 4500. I told him I knew someone that could "Help Him Out". /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif He said he was going to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tried to help, Kert.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hey do you have a center console or cup holders?

14. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Cup holders. Wich are basically useless w/my new radio. Have been looking for buckets and a console.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I figure you got the pre 95- interior, which means no cup holders, except for the ones on the glove box. (Who's bright idea was this?!)

Other than that ones, I know of no factory one, so I dont know which cup holder your talking about?

I know on the automatic models, they had a cup holder- I acutally obtained one of these, and had to mount it slighty to the right to clear 5th gear. Its still not optimal.

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Forgot to also add, I've been looking at these seats from APC- they are sport buckets in black vynl with a center console/seat. looks real nice.

17. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I rent shop space, and my landlady's son just knocked out 5th gear from his 4500. I told him I knew someone that could "Help Him Out". /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif He said he was going to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tried to help, Kert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, nice try. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

18. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I figure you got the pre 95- interior, which means no cup holders, except for the ones on the glove box. (Who's bright idea was this?!)

Other than that ones, I know of no factory one, so I dont know which cup holder your talking about?

I know on the automatic models, they had a cup holder- I acutally obtained one of these, and had to mount it slighty to the right to clear 5th gear. Its still not optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has the fold out twin cup holder that is mounted in the center of the dash. It clears the stick, but I put in an aftermarket radio which has a flip down faceplate. If I have a Pepsi bottle in the LH holder, it would hit the faceplate. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have looked at after market seets. Wasn't sure if I could get the seat to slide forward so the kids could get in the back. Hadn't looked at the track that close yet.

19. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

YOu must have the new interior. the pre 95 models didnt have that option? (we have the less "Ergonomic" dash)

20. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Actualy the pre-95s had the better cup holders. I forget what year they came out but the holder is available from the dealer fairly cheap for ones not equipped. Even color coded. I liked the cup holder in my '93 better than my '00.