Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my trailer QT

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by ramjet gmc, Nov 18, 2003.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tow&Number=900498&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

http://kaufmantrailersinc.com/

[​IMG]

I did not want to high jack a post but I called the same place and got a price on a trailer this is some of the info 2 5200lbs axels with electric breaks on each $2200 and removable fenders +100 widen the bed angle $300
    Total $ 2600.00 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

what do you think ????
    and i did not want to spend that much money but it would cost more if a crashed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am going to say this. All three of my trailers (yes three) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif are 10k pound trailers.

IMHO the 7k is pushing it to the limit. Yes there are safety factors built in, and it would probably be fine from now until forever. But the $$$ I have tied up in even just one of the trucks justifies the extra cost.

I like knowing that my 6000lbs truck is safe behind me, not pushing the limits of the trailer. In fact, I have pulled long distances (1000 miles one way) at 75-80mph with no fears of any problems.

I have seen the 7k go just fine. But I feel so much better with the 10k.

Just my .02, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    John

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 9k Kaufman I just bought does not have true 5200 lb. axles under it. I think they are some sort of beefed-up/hybrid 3,500 lb. axles, but they have 6-lug hubs, so that might be the price difference. In any case I think (hope) they will give me the safety margin I need as compared to a standard 7k trailer.

I loaded the Blazer up last night and towed it the 20 freeway miles to work this morning to check it out. It tows really nice.

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

$2600 sounds about right for that kind of trailer. Bigger axles with brakes aren't cheap, and I agree that you should use 5200lb axles at a minimum to maintain a decent safety margin. It may be possible to buy a trailer with 5200lb or bigger axles for less than $2000, but those deals are hard to come by.

The only other way you might be able to save some cash would be to buy the trailer with the 3200lb axles and then swap them yourself with some bigger ones and then sell the old axles. But, there's not much of a market for trailer axles.... New 5200lb axles should be $200-$300 per axle with brakes.

The only other thing I would add to that trailer is a Bulldog coupler. The Atwood style couplers will eventually wear thin enough to break the front area of the coupler under heavy use. What about heavy gauge fenders that were strong enough to drive over (1/8" to 3/16" steel)? That may be cheaper than making the factory ones removable. You should be able to save some $$$ by skipping the steel deck and going with treated lumber if that's an option too.

BIGJ

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    You should be able to save some $$$ by skipping the steel deck and going with treated lumber if that's an option too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my first thought too. Treated 1" fir will last forever and withstand almost any abuse you can throw at it.

It's hard to tell from the pic but make sure that some heavy duty chain slots or D-rings are included in the package as well.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only other thing I would add to that trailer is a Bulldog coupler. The Atwood style couplers will eventually wear thin enough to break the front area of the coupler under heavy use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I have seen a couple atwood's do the same thing. All of mine have a bulldog coupler. It's a real HD coupler.

John