Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My tranny broke my dipstick

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Mar 5, 2001.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I cheked the fluid one day, and it was fine. The next time I checked it, about 4 inches of the end of the dipstick was missing! I also found out that my dipstick keeps getting pushed out of the tube about 6 inches whenever I drive it. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a hungry fella. I'm not sure whats going on cause the dipstick ends at the pan. Take the pan off and have a look-see.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!

3. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Mine also did the same thing. Dont know why but it took off the whole gauge part on the stick. When I dropped the pan it was in the bottom of it there. Although I have not had any problems with the tranny.

Scott
    78blazer

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well unless it's just plain fatigue I can't explain why the ends of your sticks fell off. Maybe it was some sort of rare sector shaft transmission disease. The stick comes nowhere near any spinning parts that could cut it off.
    As for the stick poping up I would check the vent to see if it's plugged. Transmissions are vented to the air to equalize pressure as they heat. The vent is located on the driverside top of the tranny. It is a 3/8-1/2 hole that is supose to have a cap simular to a axle vent on it pointed straight out parallel to the ground. Often this cap is missing. You can get a double ended plastic barb from the help section at the local parts store and intall it with some hard setting sealent. This will let you run a hose up the fire wall to a better location to protect it from water.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>