Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My tranny can't be rebuilt, how strong is the th350??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Apr 1, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My tranny can\'t be rebuilt, how strong is the th350??

Well my tranny is totally shot, it's a th350-c. The mechanic is checking prices on a th350 and said the 350-c was a 'problem child' and hard to find. Are the th350's strong? How much power can they handle? and will it bolt right in place of the 350-c? and can some of that vacume crap that controlled the lockup be removed? Thanks for all the help.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: My tranny can\'t be rebuilt, how strong is the th350??

It is a direct replacement for the TH350C, the vacuum crap can be removed (except for the line from the manifold to the modulator), and yes it is stronger. The 400 is a stronger stock tranny (main reason it is behind the Big-blocks from the factory), but a properly built 350 can handle more than a built 400 (or so say the experts) and doesn't chew as much HP as the 400 to turn. The only thing I can't remember now is if there was a difference between the car/truck trannys and/or the 2wd/4wd truck tranny's (as far as case strength). For your application a 350 will bolt right in and if built half way decent should last a long time.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not sure on internal's but the later 4x4's got the 'K' case TH350 which had a thicker stronger bellhousing.

Rene

4. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. It's gonna cost $1,245 for the transmission/labor/dip stick and whatever else it needs. Atleast it'll be home Wednesday or Thursday.

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

th350's are decent tranny's. If they are well built and maybe install a shift they will last awhile.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

TH-400s may take up more power, but outlast th-350s. I have a th-400 in my firebird. Its a 10 second car and it weighs 3550 with me in it. Its not light at all, its all steel including hood. I had the tranny rebuilt 10 years ago, had them put good clutches and steels, but thats it, it still had the factory 10 spline intermediate sprag and have put it through hell. It lasted three race seasons, and I though I blew it up, well I didnt, instead I blew up a Hughes convertor. So I had it rebuilt anyways since it was apart. I had them put the 32 spline sprag in it. It makes the the load capacity increase by 110 %. If you can put a th400 in it, of have the th-350 really built up. But its cheaper to start with a th400.