Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My tranny is cold!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Oct 3, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

My 700R4 was running a little warm so I added a tranny cooler and a deep aluminum pan. Now the thing is running just under 150*. Is that too cold for a tranny. It shifts fine and torque convertor is locking and unlocking like it should.

It's about 65* here now, so in the winter this thing is going to be real cold. Anybody know about this?

-Chris

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well, if you want to keep it warmer in the winter, couldn't you just put and inline valve in the tranny cooler line? You could shut it off completely, or halfway, or fine tune it if you want. It's just a thought. I don't know if there is such a thing as too cold, but if there is, that would probably correct it.

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

You can get a thermal valve from Jegs or Summit. It will bypass the cooler until the trans reaches normal operating temp. A good thing to install anytime you add an auxillary cooler.

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if it is bad that it is running cold, that is my main question. Maybe there is an ideal temperature range since shifting is based on pressures and low temperatures are lower pressures?

-Chris

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I think 150* is alright. If it seems to cold in the winter, just cover the cooler front with something....

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The trans needs to get hot enough to keep water from condencing in it. They should run around 180F just like your motor.

Take a look at these
    http://www.batinc.net/thermos.htm

Did you get a stacked plate or a tube & fin?

The stacked plate ones are suposed to have a by-pass built in for cold weather?

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Here's a good link on tranny temps.

Looks like 175* might be the minimum.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

did you keep the radiator cooler inline? i feel for the winter you need to have this and plumbed after the aftermarket cooler.

the aftermarket cooler will keep the fluid cool and the radiator cooler will get it back up to temperature that it needs to be. this is how mine is plumbed.

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Gotta deal with this soon, it was just over 100* this morning for a while on the way to work. I have it going through my radiator then the cooler. Maybe I'll turn that around for the cold months.

Good info, thanks guys.

-Chris

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Maybe it would be nice to have it always run thru the cooler in the radiator and use the t-stat I posted above make it not use the aux. cooler till the temps come up. Would be like not having the aux. cooler hooked up at all during the winter.

Or you could always move to someplace with a warmer climate /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif