Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My tranny took a cr@p!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mofugly13, Oct 6, 2002.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'm brand spankin new to this board and to Chevy's too. I wrenched all over my 82 yota, but when the block cracked on it, I decided that rather than fix it right away I would save my moolah for my dream truck, a 73 K5 blazer. Well I just picked one up a week ago and it is in sweet shape with just enough loose ends on it to keep me busy maiking it just the way I want it. The previous owner swapped in a 327 and rebuilt the tranny(th350). This was 8,000 miles ago, so he said. The motor runs REAL nice, and the rest of the drivetrain seemed tight too, until Friday. On my way home from work the tranny seemed like it wouldn't downshift when I came to a stop. The truck would move, but very slow at high rpms. Then it would drop down into a low gear, everything would be fine, and then it would pop out of gear and be back to SLOW moving with the motor racing. Whafuh? So, I had to stop at the bank. When I came out I couldnt even find reverse, so Im hitting the gas, not moving, when all of a sudden CLUNK it jumps into reverse. Then I try to go forward and... nothing. Motor racing, tranny sticking his middle finger up at me. So I put it in reverse and it works fine, I backed it up into the closest parking space. Now I'm thinking I have to drive home in reverse. So I check the tranny fluid and its low (smells like something burning too). I add fluid and try to drive away, and now I have NO gears, no L1, no L2, no Drive or Reverse. The linkage is cool so I figure it's gotta be inside the tranny. After playing with the shift lever for a while, I put it back in Park and I can hear gears whining. Whenever I take it out of Park and then put it back in, I get the whining gears sound, but it only lasts 3-5 seconds. Anyway, this is my first domestic vehicle. Like I said I've had my Toyota torn apart and back together, but that had a 5-speed. I dont wanna tackle an Auto tranny rebuild myself, and I have no idea what the problem may be. So, does it sound like I need a rebuild? Does anyone know a good tranny shop in or around San Francisco? AAA will tow me up to 100 miles, but until I get it to a shop, It's sitting in Safeway's parking lot. Thanks in advance. I'll be back with more ?'s after I get this gremlin taken care of. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Man, Only if you were closer. I have an extra TH350 I would sell you for $75. Find out how much it would be to ship it to you from Dallas and see if it is worth it to you. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Greg72 is out towards Silicon Valley and has a hookup with a good tranny shop. The good news is that Turbo 350's are pretty cheap to rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

sounds kinda like the torque convertor took a dump. around here (texas), i can get a 350 rebuilt for about 3-400 or so, if i take it out myself. i'd say about 6-1K or so if they do the work? anyway, g/l.