Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck and it's crappy saga(Or I need a good shop in Cleveland)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jrgunn5150, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

Hey guy's, I have an 87 Chevy K(V)10 with a fresh 350, Holley 670 truck Avenger, Edelbrock performer EPS, and a Monster Motorsports Mega Monster 700r4, and an NP208. I put the 350 in, and the tranny (transfer cases are heavy!!).
    Now the first awesome problem was when all the toque converter bolts fell out! Ironically it did it just after I drove 40 miles to work, right when I went to go home.
    So since a 40 mile tow is cost prohibitive, and putting a new drivetrain in had ate up my vacation days, I let one of my co-workers brother tow it around the corner to his shop. Two weeks and almost 1000 dollars later, I had a new flywheel (that cost 50 bucks at summit):eek1: . I emphasized to the guy that I was driving it almost 400 miles to Michigan for X-mas, "Oh you'll be fine, I fixed you up righteous". Lesson learned, dont trust a guy that say righteous, or who says "you can trust me".
    I hopped in my little truck and headed home for the holidays, only to find out it was dumping oil from the sending unit, which brings me to my first question. The unit itslef is not leaking, it's a little brass sleeve in the block that it threads into, can I just stick a pipe plug in that? The new sending unit doesn't come with it, so I don't have a clue where to get it. Secondly I have to run the thing up to 40 miles and hour, then lift to get it to shift into second. It will shift into third normally, but wants to cycle 4-3 up and down, so I wound up driving it in third for 300 miles. I adjusted the t.v. cable, but it doesn't matter how loose or tight I set it, and I have a universal cable, thats how it shifts. My second tranny problem was when my cousin and I pulled into the gas station and he comment on my truck leaking, to which I replied, yeah it leaks oil. Wasn't oil, it was tranny fluid! So we got under it for some inspection and seen that all the transfer case bolts had fallen out! I went to the hardware to get more, but the threads were gone from the case for the adapter to bolt to. So, back into the shop it went up there, for four helicoils I was charged 800 bucks. Woo Hoo! I am going to pick it up on Tuesday, and have to drive it all the way back home, when I asked the mechanic about how it's shifting, he called back the next day and said, yeah it's shifting just like you said, but offered no solution.
    I am at my wits end here, I paid 2000 for the truck only to put a new drivetrain in it, and now I'm gonna wreck this tranny to! Please help, and if anybody knows a good tranny shop in Cleveland, fill me in!

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

sounds like 1 of 2 things. 1. not enough fluid. the tranny cant build enough line pressure to hold 3-4 and get from 1-2 . 2. the tv cable is not adjusted right. how are you adjusting it? also, you didnt use locktight when you assembled it did you?

3. Jrgunn5150

I adjusted it by the book, pushed in the thing, and rotated the throttle by hand to make the sheath come out. It wasn't shifting into overdrive before, so I pulled into a truckstop and adjusted it looser, still not overdrive, up and down thing. So I adjusted it tighter, I think too tight, cuz thats when it started the wierd 1-2 shifting. I think I may have hurt something inside and now it's stuck that way. I still dont understand why a brand new tranny would shuffle between 3 and 4 like that? It was full of fluid also.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well first off, i guess you learned a lesson. Never trust anyone else with your vehicle. They overcharge you, and you have no idea what kind of job they did, and how many corners they cut. Now, it sounds to me like the tv cable. I dont use the throttle method (like you stated, you rotated the throttle by hand to make the sheath come out). I just take it for a drive. If its not shifting right, i adjust it one way and drive it again. If its worse, ill adjust it the other way, if its better, i keep adjusting till it shifts perfect. Trial and error. When I have to re-adjust mine for some reason, it usually takes at least 8-10 test tries before I get it just like I like it.
    It could also be a bad shift governor. That would make it not want to shift to second. Its on the drivers side of the tranny, near the top of the bellhousing. There will be a round metal cap there. Pry it off with a screwdriver, and pull out the metal thing inside. There is a small plastic gear on the end (looks like a pinion gear)....many times the gear will strip out. I know its a new tranny, but sometimes the gear is cracked to begin with and just fails. Anyways, if the teeth on the gear are stripped, it needs replacing. Most tranny shops will just replace the gear on the end for you if you take the governer in. If they charge you more than $10 for this, they are ripping you off.
    Other than that, I dont know what would make it shift like that. It is always possible to have a bad tranny right from the start. Is it under warranty? I would try calling monster motorsports if I were you.
    -Harrison

5. Jrgunn5150

Yeah it is under warrantee, but I'd have to take it out and send it back for them to do anything. You are right though, and I have always said the same thing myself, thats what I get for listening to my girlfriend.

6. Jrgunn5150

I just figured I would update this for others benefit. It turned out my truck was shifting from first straight into third, so into the tranny shop it went. Upon a teardown, the band was gone, along with the clutch pack.

An interesting thing to note though was the fact that my reverse input drum with visibly bowed down, and the planetary input gears were missing washers that are intended to take side play out. They weren't worn, they were GONE!
    Basically Monster Motor sports crewed me, and when I called on the warauntee, they replied that since my mechanic stripped it, they wouldn't honor it.

I am now very happy with my new TCI truckmaster and B&M 2400 tork master converter.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Mongo not like Monster Motorsports.