Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck burned! TRADGEDY!! WAAA!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quaddawg, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

I am going to cry, I had just got my old truck pretty squared away, and it BURNT!

Just about a total loss.... engine compartment GONE, dash GONE... Truck GONE..

WAAAAA!!! BUMMER.. only liability, no comprehensive insurance...

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1713/sort/1/cat/500/page/1 Check my gallery for more pics..

Hey, I have a parts truck for sale (1/2 ton axles though....)

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Dang man! What happened??!!

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Brutal my friend. I feel your pain just looking at those pics. :crazy:

4. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Damn, sorry man I feel your pain. My 85 caught on fire and burned minor under the hood, but I freaked out when smoke was rolling outta the hood and I thought it was going to burn down, I guess I was lucky :(

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , its not a total loss , looks like good stripped down trail truck fodder to me . Build it up for wheelin' with the bare neccessities inside , like just seats gauges cage etc :thinking:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

WITH THE CORRECT PARTS SHE WILL LIVE AGAIN!!!!!

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Second that question - how did it happen?

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bummer, Sorry man!!! Time for truggy!!! :thumb:

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Note to self: Buy fire extinguishers and check on full coverage!!:(

Sorry for your loss. Good reminder for the rest of us.:yikes:

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Dude, I know EXACTLY how you are feeling right now. Same thing happened to me on Christmas Eve of '92. The fire under my hood got so hot that it melted anything that wasn't iron. Upon teardown of the engine, I found solidified, formerly molten, carburetor in the cylinders.:weld: :yikes:

It took me 9 months to get my Burb back on the road.

Keep your head up, you can fix it if you so desire.:deal: :waytogo:

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I can say I know how you feel...

heres mine,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is is just a few days later, just get a dumster and go for it,, you can buy a cheap 2wd parts truck some where near you for a just a couple hundred. Just look around.

buying the parts new, or one by one wont be cheap, I had to replace verything from the seats forword.

[​IMG]

12. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Man, sorry. I would be in tears if my truck went up in a blaze of glory.

13. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I haven't decided what to do with her yet.. I am kinda sick still... I had JUST got it pretty much back in shape. Check my gallery, the pictures titles "Backyard" were just taken about an hour before it burned...

Figured out what happened. The truck had been built fairly well, and fairly correctly, but subsequent owners had half assed a bunch of electrical stuff. I had straightened most of it out, EXCEPT, they had run a wire from the battery, through the firewall to a switch and back to the coil for fire. I guess they couldn't figure out how to wire it correctly. I had meant to at least put a fuse on that hot wire...... but not quickly enough... DAMN, that should have been the first thing I did!!! I KNOW BETTER, Hell, I have been building hot rods most of my life, I wouldn't do something like that, and it is not like me to not fix it immediately... anyway, it must have ground out on the firewall, or somewhere under the dash... that coupled with it being a big heavy wire, and connected to my BRAND NEW OPTIMA YELLOW TOP (boo hoo.....!) gave it enough juice to burn her down.

Actually, with a two wheel drive donor truck, I could have her back together pretty easily, but I just don't know if I want to, I mean, it still needs heavier axles.. it is only sitting on 6 lug D44 and a 12 bolt, 373's... Crap, I think I will just list it on Ebay and start over with something else...

A buddy just called, he has a 70 (I think) blazer, that needs what is not burned on mine, the drive train, he said I can have it free... so who knows...

I think the motor is in pretty good condition, I am not even sure if the edlebrock carb is melted or not, I don't think so, but I am not sure...

OH WELL, I think it goes on Ebay.... TOMORROW!!

Easy come, easy go.... time for a new project I guess...

waaaaaaa.. I still want to cry.... :(

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry about your truck......:what:

Would make a great trail rig now though......

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thats a shame bro. must have been a pretty heavy wire not to burn itself free of the ground. that '70 swap sounds pretty cool tho. maybe this was meant to be. sometimes the bad things in life turn out to be blessings.

16. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

I don't know... I am going to sleep on it... I just don't know if I am up for a full rebuild at the moment, I have other issues going on.. and a boat that needs to be ready for spring... and my boy's birthday coming up... and no real place to do that involved work.

I am going to go look at that Blazer tomorrow, I haven't seen it, he said something about it having a pickup bed on it? I don't see how that is possible.. Maybe the top is off, and he just doesn't know any better...

Crud, I can't get over this loss right now, it's almost like I lost a good huntin dog...:frown1:

17. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

man that sucks! I am sorry to hear and see about your loss, if you decide to part it out let me know, I am looking for a few parts. Once again sorry to hear about this.

18. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

I don't really have the room to part it out, why don't you just take the whole thing.... I am just sick inside. It wasn't pretty, but you know how attached you get to these damned things... I don't have a trailer big enough to make it a full off road truggy... I don't have the room or bucks to redo it.....

The tires are in great shape... lol...

Axles are 1/2's but are in good shape, as is the parttimed 303, the tranny leaks around the pan, but was just redone about 1500 miles ago, although it sat, the mechanicals in it are good.

It is supposed to have a 4 bolt in it, but I never checked the numbers or dropped the pan to check.

I do have a damn nice set of Hedman elite headers (#69830) that never got installed too...

CRAP CRAP CRAP..

Somebody trade me a nice off road go kart for my boys birthday, and come get this truck and get it back on the trails again. I can't do it.

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Aw man,,, that sucks. I just dont know what to say. Mabey just use what you can , and start over again. Good luck, Jacob

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If it was on your property, your home owners INS should cover it, you might want to give them a call... :thinking: