Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Truck Died HELP !

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RacerHead, Jul 26, 2002.

1. RacerHead

RacerHead Registered Member

I was driving(my new truck) last night and it died, It started back up and dies 45 seconds later. 82 Jimmy 6.2 This is my first diesel and have no idea what the hell is wrong /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . I have a 1/4 of a tank of fuel, I pulled the fuel filter off and has no fuel in it. All my friends are giving me hell, for being pulled home by a F*ucking toy /forums/images/icons/blush.gif . What do I do now ?

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Your lift pump is probly dead. Open one of the fuel filter bleed vavles and crank the engine. If fuel doesn't come out then you probly need a new lift pump.

3. RacerHead

What is a lift pump, and where is it ? Could the sock filter in the tank be clogged ? This truck has sat for 6 months before i bought it. Why is the fuel Red ?

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The fuel is probably red because it was a farm truck using dyed diesel(or maybe the PO used a colored fuel stabilizer)

Your fuel problems are probably being caused by either a plugged fuel filter or a dead fuel pump. The fuel pump on a 6.2 is located in the same place as on a SBC.

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

One other thing, maybe you're sucking air into the fuel line someplace? You could take some extra fuel line and connect is to your lift pump, and see if you can suck fuel out of a jerry can.

6. RacerHead

Re: My Truck Died HELP ! (New Fuel pump)

I have replaced the both fuel filters, and the fuel pump, it still won't start /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . I can't find any air leaks. What now ?

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Take off the line that goes into the injector pump and add a length of hose to it and direct it into a can while you crank the engine, if it aint getting fuel then its a line thats collapsed or kinked or something else thats causing a restriction on the way to the injector pump, if youre getting a steady stream to the injector pump, then somewhere in there is where the problem lies.

8. RacerHead

Where is the injector pump ?

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

The injector pump sits under the air cleaner assembly and under the intake manifold.