Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck died last night.........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Mar 19, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

its has about 500 miles on a redone 350. Engine light came on, then off. pulled over and i did not see smell a thing. So i started to crawl home. Light came on a few more times and it died. Smelled like burnt plastic. Clould not find a thing. The smell was everywhere so i could not find it. In the cab all around the engine bay. What the hell could it be this time? Its a 90 sub with a 350 and 700r4. I cant keep one of these damn trucks on the road!! Starting to piss me off!!

Thanks guys

mike /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Before you panic, check the fuse link on the firewall.

3. 84CUCV

Never even crossed my mind.

mike

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Check the wires that are hooked up to the starter solenoid as well. One of them could have been burned on the exhaust. Give them a giggle and see if it will start. If so, I bet on a burnt wire.

5. 84CUCV

Nop, thats not it. it will crank just not run. any ideas?

mike

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

90 sub is tbi, right? crankshaft position sensor or not? i dont know too much about tbi trucks.. i know jeeps are notorious (4.0 liters) for the CKP sensor going out or coming loose and they will crank but not fire..
    you getting fuel and spark?

7. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

First, take off your air cleaner and get somebody to crank it. Fuel should be sqirting out of the TBI injectors, you should see the fuel. If it does that then simple check for spark. Your probably missing one of those things so figure out which one and update us.

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

First check that the wires in the engine compartement aren't roasted somewhere, if on of the wires got too close to the exhaust mannies, that could cause problems. Also, pull the codes from the ECM. If a wire is fried, the ECM code could tell you where to look... Check around the EGR valve (sometimes the wires that rin to the front of the engine run REALLY close to the EGR and if they were moved, could melt). Knock sensor and O2 sensor both have wores running close to exhaust rounting.

BTW, there is not CPS (crank position sensor) sensor on 350 TBI's

Chris