Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MY TRUCK DOESN'T WARM UP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KILLERK5, Jan 22, 2003.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

MY TRUCK DOESN\'T WARM UP

My truck never warms up, so the heater doesn't work. This makes for a long, cold ride to work every morning. Is there a way to atleast get some heat out of the thing? I put the equivelant of a two core radiator in over the summer, but it didn't warm up very well before that either. I don't think the heater core is bad, because the heater works really well in the summer, when I don't need it. Im going to try a different thermostat, but I don't think its going to make a difference. Is there anything I can do? Is it safe to cover some of the radiator? Any suggestions would help.

THANKS!!!

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: MY TRUCK DOESN\'T WARM UP

First of all, what is your engine temp saying? Cause if that's high/normal (around 190-195) there's no reason why your heater shouldn't be pumping out the heat. So, how hot is the engine getting? If it stays really cool no matter what, than maybe the heating system isn't at fault.
    Yes, it is fine/ok to put some cardboard in front of the radiator. But, if you do, just watch the gauge for the first day or so. And adjust the cardboard bigger or smaller as the need calls for it.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My guess would be the thermostat is stuck open?

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have an 87 with TBI and the new second generation 195 thermostat done a world of difference in how the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif warms up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

My vote is on the thermostat too. I recently put in a 180 instead of the 195 from the factory...man do I hate it. Doesn't get that warm

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Make sure the cooling system is FULL, if not water tends to not flow thru the heater core.

7. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I also replaced my thermostat and that did the trick. Also replace the radiator cap if you have a problem keeping you radiator full.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

check to see if the vent door is opening, I had the vac tubes hooked up backwards, and when the heat was off hot air would come out, and when open it would not get hot.

9. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

My truck doesn't hardly get above 100 degrees when its cold, and even when its hot outside it doesn't run very hot which is a good thing. Where exactly are the vent doors? My truck also blows out hot air when the heater isn't off.

Thanks again for the help!!

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You are sure your temp gauge is working? (scanner will tell you what the seperate ECM temp sender says the engine is running at)

If your truck is running that cold, I'd lay wages on the thermostat. A Chev V8 generates plenty of heat to keep it at 195* in the summer, and if the thermostat is working, it will stay at (or close to) that temp no matter how efficient the cooling system is.

11. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

your thermostat is stuck open!! Change it to a 195 and that should cure it. I have a grill that has snaps on the corners and in the center. the grill has a leather cover that came from the factory to cover the grill. i put that on mine in the winter and it really makes a difference.

12. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Another vote for the thermostat. I went from 160 to 180 and that was an okay improvement, but a 195 really did the trick. Aren't you psyched to have the fix for only seven bucks ?!?

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Get a new thermostat your old one is most likely busted or missing!

Don't screw around with 180's, get yourself a 195 degree thermostat and call it good.

Your cold toes will thank you!

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you don't want or I should say, your motor doesn't want to run that cold. It need the heat to live, if you keep it running that cold you'll kill it before it's time.....warm it up....185/195 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif