Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck got nailed...by an old lady

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Dec 17, 2003.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

and all it did was put a 1/4" scratch in my aluminum rim.she tried to turn into walmart and my rear tire happened to be there. it was some old lady...but on the plus side, they were WELD aluminum Super Single I's and sicne they dont make those n e more, i get all new rims.
    at least she didnt hit my paint though. and yes, it is a show truck, but i still get it dirty /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

now, which weld rims should i get. they are 16.5"x 12"

NITRO

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

super single 2's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thats what i want for my DD...

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm getting these
    [​IMG]
    Mickey Thompson Classic Locks

They discontinued the 35" AT/S, so I'm probley going to get 16x10 rims, then order the 315/70r16 (33.6x12.7) AT/S's

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Outbacks or Typhoons!

Personaly I'd go with the Typhoons, they look so cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    they were WELD aluminum Super Single I's and sicne they dont make those n e more

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck? Do you mean SS II wheels? Or did you mean SS I wheels? If you meant the SS II wheels, those are still made and very popular wheels.

Got some pics of these SS I wheels? If they are what you claim to be, I know they appear slightly different than the SS II.

BTW, how wide are (were) your Welds? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    they are 16.5"x 12"

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's his old rims
    [​IMG]

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know if they make them in a 16.5, but I think the Centerline Autodrag rim is the best looking rim ever.

8. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    they are 16.5"x 12"

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's his old rims
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those rims are still made and also in very high demand on the market. He can still buy them, individually or as a set of 4 if he wants to shell out that much money. I have a set of that exact same size sitting in boxes in my garage and also a set of 9.75" wide SS II's on my K30. These rims are not "dead". Weld even offers polishing and repairing of their rims, too, so if he would rather keep them and have them try to fix his scratch, that'd be the route I would go. Again, these rims are still made and readily available just about anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

9. thatK30guy

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

He had the wheels I love SS 1's I want a set SO bad but they dont make them anymore and not very polular around here espically because I want 15x12 (6lug)

11. jjlaughner

Hey shane, just flipping threw the 4wheelparts catalog that came today and the Weld Stonecrusher 51's are similar and look pretty good.

the Weld StoneCrusher51, Eagle Alloys 1029 and centerline's bullet 603's all look about the same.

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hmm...interesting. i thought that they were a discontinued series. anywayz, i am going to get them magnafluxed within the next week or so and then i guess go from there. but im sure if nothing else, they will be sent into weld and fixed and polished. thanx for the info guys

NITRO

13. thatK30guy

Weld has an excellent deal for polishing wheels. They polish ANY SIZE, for a set of 4 rims, $80 total. I sent my set to them to polish and they came back looking exactly like they did when I got them new. I will be sending my 12" wide SS II's sometime soon to get polished. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG] I have 16.5x14 scorpio V's with the optional conehead center caps.
    I would get the SS 2's, typhoons, or scorpios. Definantly get the conehead covers... they look awesome and keep the lug nuts covered making them harder to steal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I also think the new mountain crusher simule bead locks are really cool looking.

Interesting how many people all of a sudden like welds. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Centerline

[/ QUOTE ]
    don't you mean shiterline /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. thatK30guy

Very nice Scorpios!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Interesting how many people all of a sudden like welds.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No kidding. I've loved the Welds since I first saw them back in the 80's. I finally got my first set in '94 or '95 and still have them. I got another set of SS II's but 12" wide thru a swap deal with another guy who didn't know anything about them. Imagine my luck there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

cool, I meant that a lot of the time people on this website think welds are stupid, yada yada and bead locked wagon wheels are the only thing that are cool and should be used. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif But I noticed that everyone that has responded to this thread I haven't argued about that with them. You guys are cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Just for that . . . Welds SUCK!

You need bead locked wagon wheels!/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Actually I think they both have their place if you can afford them. I have a set of steels for wheeling, and I have a set of aluminums for everyday use. If you can do both I would, but thats just me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    if you can afford them

[/ QUOTE ]

True, very true. Welds are not cheap. You do get what you pay for with them. When I got my 16.5 x 9.75 SS II's back in '94 or '95, they cost me $220 for each wheel. Today they are up to around $250 per rim. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Today they are up to around $250 per rim. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I paid $325 for my 16.5x14's and that was a deal. They aren't that expensive if you add up what it costs to buy 2 sets of tires and wheels. I was originally going to get a set of 35" bfg's on aluminums to run on the street and put a few less miles on the boggers but then I relized that after buying another set it would easily pay for another set of bogger and then some. I would rather just put that money to another set of boggers instead of making a secure place to store the unused set and not to mention lugging them on and off all the time. I guess I'm just layzy but when we decide to hit a local mud hole after it rains I don't want to have to rush home everytime to change tires in the rain. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif