Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck is leaning...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I'll try and post pics tomorrow but for the meantime, I just finished installing my new axles/4" BDS front lift/ORD shackle flip w/ 57" Ford Springs and zero rates rear lift. My problem is my truck is leaning big time towards the passenger side of the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I measured from the ground to the same spot on the frame on both sides of the truck. One side sits at 25-13/16", the other side sits at 24-3/8. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif As you can see it is almost an inch and a half difference. Any body have any ideas what is causing this. It is very obvious the truck leans and it is going to drive me crazy until I can correct it. Thanks in advance, Lance.

2. st08x

st08x Registered Member

is it towards the front or rear of the truck? could be your rear leaf springs if u didnt replace them. i think my truck leans a little to the passenger side to but i can never really tell because i'm hardly every on anything flat.

My K-5

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

my truck is doing the exact same thing /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, it turned out that I completely destroyed the upper shackle bushing on the front passenger side spring /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That accounts for most of the leaning on the one side, other than that, I don't know. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine too...about 3/4" lower on the drivers side. I think my front Rancho's are bent a bit.

Rene

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Mine does that in the rear. I think its just worn out springs from what I can see.

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

You may have something there, I hope. I have new front ORD shackles and bushings that I have yet to replace. I was just trying to get my truck out of boss' shop before he completely tanks the business, so that is why I haven't replaced them yet. When I get it home today or tomorrow, I am going to replace them and I hope that corrects most of it.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    is it towards the front or rear of the truck? could be your rear leaf springs if u didnt replace them. i think my truck leans a little to the passenger side to but i can never really tell because i'm hardly every on anything flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

It leans from the drivers side to the passengers side. AS for my rear springs I re-built the 57" Ford springs with new UHMW (?) pads and new urethane bushings. They measure the same distance from eye to eye, so I don't think it is my rear springs, but thanks anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mine too...about 3/4" lower on the drivers side. I think my front Rancho's are bent a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brand new shocks, so it could be that but I don't really think it is. Thanks for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anybody else have some ideas?

8. tRustyK5

Brand new shocks, so it could be that but I don't really think it is. Thanks for the input.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to my front Rancho springs. My truck measures almost an inch higher on the passenger front. The Rancho's are way stiffer than my 57" rears so if one has more arch than the other the 57's will just suck up the difference.

Rene

9. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I was referring to my front Rancho springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops... my bad! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But for that matter I have brand new 4" BDS springs.

Please explain the what you mean buy </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    if one has more arch than the other the 57's will just suck up the difference.

[/ QUOTE ] I am not quite sure if I follow what you are saying.

On another note, I went to take a look under my truck this morning to see I could possibly identify any trouble spots. I did notice that the rear portion of my passenger side spring, the part that is inside the shackle, does not appear to be on a level plain. The inside of the spring appears lower than the outside of the spring by about a 1/4". Could that possibly have that much effect on how level the truck sits.

BTW, still trying to get some pics, if the boneheads in the shop next door will ever move their trucks so I can pull my truck out.

10. tRustyK5

The front springs have more of an effect on body lean because they are stiffer.

Check this pic...truck is backwards on the ramp. Check the relative angle of the body, it's not leaning over too badly.
    [​IMG]

Same ramp but the truck is forwards on the ramp...see how much more angle the body is at?
    [​IMG]

The stiffer front springs effect the way the body sits much more so than the softer rear springs...

Rene

11. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for clarifying. I get what you mean now.