Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MY TRUCK IS SHAKING APART

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayven, Aug 4, 2004.

1. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

well, only at about 50 and up. The Vibration is rythmatic in that it gets really rough for a few seconds then it gets pretty smooth. Almost exactly on tine everytime. This happened when I put the 38's on my truck. Bent wheel? Balance the tires? They are swampers TSLs and I know the should vibrate but this makes my steering wheel move an inch or two when it gets going. ANd I dont notice it around town. Or I dont think I do. Let me know if you have experienced this before or any ideas. Otherwise I will just go have it balanced tomorrow

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

does it stop after longer drives??i found with my shaky square tires that when they get to the point of not shaking as bad ,if i stop for a couple minutes they ride very smooth. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. boggerless

i'm daryl by the way, welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Since your tires are TSL's, they might be getting flat spots on the tires for sitting out in the sun (no worry, they will disapear with driving) so when you drive for the first bit it will be shaky.

5. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

No, It does not matter how long I drive or if it has been sitting or not. When the speed increase so does the wobble. I was thinking bent rim or balance. I bought these off of a friend and have never balanced them. Nice to meet your Daryl

6. boggerless

i don't know what else to tell you.maybe go slow?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your driveline is out of balance. That is what it will do, usually only shakes at certain speeds and can be kinda un-nerving at times. The bigger tires essential give you a little extra lift, and it may have been enough to throw the angle off on your driveline.

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

are they TSL's or TSL SX's cuz I have the SX's and they are probably the worst tire as far as vibes and rattling goes. balancing probably wont help much...if they are pretty good tirs I'd get them "trued" costs about 60 bucks or so...with my tires they have about 15 % tread left and I only paid 60 bucks for them, so im just suffering till I get new ones /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

They increase ground clearance, but the driveline angles stay exactly the same. Think about it.

Try rotating the tires, one side at a time, see if you cant just get the vibration to the rear of the truck. My TSL's are so chunked balancing is almost out of the question, so i made the tire with the worst vibrations (coincidently the one bent rim as well) my spare, and the next worse ones are on the rear, where it doesnt give me a death wobble up front. It vibrates, but at least its still driveable.

10. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

centramatic wheel balancers mount in betwwen the wheel and the flange. they are good for up to 6oz of weight and balance the whole rotating assembally of the axles.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    centramatic wheel balancers mount in betwwen the wheel and the flange. they are good for up to 6oz of weight and balance the whole rotating assembally of the axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf balls or BB's are cheaper and do the exact same thing...

Rene

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Not to mention are good for any ammount of weight. Ive got 4 in one tire, two have 6, and one now has 7, but i think its as good as its gonnna get. the one with the bent rim i took them all out, no point.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't run any, but I should. I got a bit of tire shake from one front...

Rene