Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MY TRUCK KICKS A$$ AGAIN!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Aug 27, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

for the past 2 months not i have been complaining about how my truck has no power,gets bad gas mileage, idles like crap etc. Well I finally found my problem. To start, the rotor was pointing 180 degrees off on TDC instead of at # 1 plug. Then i took off the valve covers and two rocker arms were just lieing there in the head bay. WTF! Im a beginner (17 years old with no help from parents) so im proud. After i fixed it and bolted the valve covers back on i broke one of the covers at the hole. Well i welded the piece back with the JB weld stuff and there are no more leaks. Now it runs like a champ. Its never run like this before. the only thing wrong is i got oil spilled all over a header so it smokes like a frieght train. anyone know how get the oil off? what chemicals can i use?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Oil will burn right off... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

good job...i to am a begginer in this stuff..(im 16)..and me and my dad have so far put a tranny/moter/t-case/drivesahfts...the works into my 84 k5..that i got for 75 bucks..that was missing all this..which i got from one i bought befor it. next ill be doing my whole floor...little nervuos but cant wait either..the experience that ive gained from all this is unreplacable!!..and its a pain in the ass sometimes and then its great to...keep with it and later ull be turnin wrenches left and right!

Bryan

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I've been into trucks for more than 6 years. I'm only 17 also and haven't had any help(moneywise) from my parents. I pride myself for working 6-7 days a week to make enough money to completely purchase and build everything myself. It's a great feeling /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Congrats on getting your truck to run good. My truck will occasionally have a miss when my headers burn through my spark plug wire boot. It always would confuse me because I couldn't figure out why it would miss. I figure it's worth buying a boot every 3-4 months in exchange for having headers.

5. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I remember when I was you alls age. I had the exact same situations. LOL

Was in High School, No JOB, had a beast truck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif God I took pride in EVERYTHING i did to that thing. Then I made a stupid mistake and sold it for a jeep TJ. Now I'm back to having an OLD 85 K2500 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif GOD its fun working on trucks. Its even more fun when you have a job to actually buy good stuff for it. I'm 21 by the way so I'm not that much older than you all. Keep up the good work!

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It's a good fealing when you can figure stuff out and fix it yourself. I have been doin this crap for over 20 years and the good fealing never leaves!! good luck!

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well I must be lucky. I get help from my mom on projects. My dad just sits in the house and sleeps most of the day. Course I work on all of my mom's stuff too, motor swaps, carb overhaul, tune-ups, etc. Not too many mothers out there that have a '72 Cheyenne C10 and '76 K10 Chevry Shortboxes.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm new to this board, but I just had to comment on this topic because it is so true. Some days when working on my truck I will get so discouraged and mad because a part doesn't fit right, or I can't get a bolt loose. But then, there I am the very next day, dirty clothes and all, starting a new project. Is it an obsession, or insanity?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It is probably both obsession and insanity, but I'm the same as you! I guess it'll never go away.