Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Truck, POS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Alright, darnit. I've just about had it. I can't keep up with repairs on the thing, much less add anything to it. Looks like in addition to a long list of repairs that we need to do, we are looking at a head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. For Pete's sake, I still have a leaking gas tank, shocks that are shot (truck rocks like a rocking chair when you put it in park), leaking pinion seal, tires that need replacing, and that doesn't even start to touch the body that needs repair! Oh and the rusted out tailgate hinge area - can't use the tailgate much because one hinge is shot. Yeah, I have just about had it. Going wheelin' Labor Day Weekend seems like it's just not going to happen /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . I have so much time and money into this thing now and this latest setback seems like too much! Thanks for letting me vent!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't get over whelmed by it. Make a list of things that need doing in order of priority and pick them off one at a time. Obviously if you plan on a wheeling trip mechanical is more important than body.

So take a deep breath and tell us why you think the head gasket or head or block is FUBAR...what happened? Did it overheat? If so how badly? Head gaskets aren't that bad and often enough that's all that gets wrecked if its overheated. Small blocks are pretty tough...

Rene

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

don't give up! looks like you need a crate motor. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks so much for the encouragement you guys. I was even looking at Jeeps /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . Nice people over at the chat but I think this newest problem is just a slap in the face. I love K5's. The sound that my truck makes when I get on the throttle is music to my ears. I don't beat it though, really. I hardly go off-road even though I want to, because my tires and shocks are just garbage and I can't afford to replace them. So, here's my list of things to do pretty soon:
    Replace leaking gas tank - already have the new tank
    Replace leaking pinion seal
    Replace shocks - I have 3 brand new Trailmaster SSV's in my garage, need 1 more
    Put in 4" suspension lift - already have it all in the garage since hubby went to an 8" susp + 3" body
    Buy new tires - mine were someone else's garbage BFG A/T's. There isn't much left on them now
    Replace rusted out left hinge area on tailgate

I know the body can wait til early winter but one more WI winter will do it in:
    Rocker panels - cheap enough through JCWhitney
    Cutout flares - not cheap but the rust is already through the body in places around the rear fender

Paint can wait til next year.

So this evening I'm out pulling the dash, running the antenna wire that goes on the windshield since my truck came with a busted windshield and we replaced it with one that has a windshield antenna. I go to back it into the garage for the night and there's a cloud of white smoke. Smelled strange. I'm thinking now, I thought I could smell coolant the past 2 mornings when I started it. It was running a little hot and a bit of a dog when I stepped on it on the highway. I put 2 and 2 together and approached hubby thinking, head gasket. He said yes, or a cracked head, or a cracked block. He'll take it to work tomorrow and test it. Pressure test? Anyway, he does have a nice 350, hardly any miles on it, in his truck and found a big block that he wants. Trouble is the time involved. Now, those other repairs could all be done fairly quick but my business is not doing well at the time. I have applications out for part-time work.

I don't mean to whine. I'm just frustrated. I have so much blood, sweat, and tears into that truck of mine but seem to be getting nowhere!

Thanks for listening,

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You should've seen my list. I didn't understand or appreciate the definition of project truck until I was too into mine to call it quits. Just became a battle of wills. Mine against the POS I bought before I had any idea what I should look for.

So, decided to change my attitude and figured that to be really assured that my truck wouldn't fail me at an inopportune time, that I would just replace everything I could. This was, of course, after the truck failed me at more than one inopportune time. Just ask the guys, they mostly looked on in disbelief at my misadventures. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Now, older, a bit wiser, much poorer, and destined to hold minor political office in out of the way locales, I can say that the good news is, there isn't much left on my list and I am past the financial shock (or have gone numb from the neck up). In any event, I love this POS truck I have more now than ever. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif And I'm almost not afraid to drive it somewhere! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif And yes, it seemed like I got nowhere for the longest time, then all of a sudden it started to come together all at once.

Just stick with it. It may be a POS, but it's YOUR POS! And there is no guarantee that you won't run into similar probs with any older vehicle. Have fun with it, and don't commit yourself to long journeys before a test drive /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

All vehicles will need tires at some point in time, thats not an issue when considering the condition of a vehicle. 4 shocks can be had for $100. Engines are fairly cheap when you price a new truck. And remember - GM will never make a vehicle this tough again, solid front axles are gone on all but the small Jeeps now. It's not about owning a POS, it's about preserving some of GM's finer days that will never be seen again.

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm..... sounds familiar. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now, older, a bit wiser, much poorer, and destined to hold minor political office in out of the way locales...

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!! You kill me Pam!!

Rene

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Ya know, when I bought my 1980 K10 about ten years ago, it was really rolling junk. I bought it for a winter beater, so I wouldn't have to drive my just restored '54 Willys CJ3B. The truck had an 8' bed, 4spd, and 4wd. At that time, I never thought about keeping it and building it. But I did, and over the years, it has really evolved, like someone else said, I'm just preserving (and using) the last of the real trucks. I've replaced the engine from a 6 to an 8, replaced worn out suspension with a 6" lift, replaced shot body bushings with a 3" body lift, at the same time I replaced the rotted out northern Ohio body with a rust free cab and bed from South Carolina, new GM fenders, and I even painted it myself!

Everytime something wears out or gets damaged, I try to upgrade to something heavier duty at the same time. My engine is worn out from turning 35" tires on 3.42 gears, so soon I'll be upgrading to big block. I've got the d60 front and 14bff rear with 4.10's, just need to find time to install them.

I guess the point is, it takes time, patience, and money, but if you have the first two, the money spent will be well worth it, and you'll have a truck that will outlast anything new you could buy for way cheaper. Good Luck!

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Geez, you guys (and Pam) are so inspirational. I'm still a bit bummed, since my K5 is my daily driver and I'm kinda stuck here. I am going to drive it across town to the shop in a bit and after 5 we can pressure test it. I like the idea of preserving GM's best, and Lord knows I wouldn't want a "new" truck or something I was afraid to scratch. Yes it will pretty much be new soon. Maybe this is hubby's ticket to that big block he wants so badly, and my ticket to his rebuilt, bored out, machined head, extreme 4x4 cam, gear drive 350 with the roller tip rockers. LOL. He runs 38.5's on his pickup with 3:73's, wanting to upgrade to a 2.5 ton axle setup anyhow. I suppose he does need a big block. I need a job away from home! Better go make some phone calls...

12. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

Hey man.. You said you are broke and need some descent tires right?????? Get this.... Pep boys has a really good set of 31" Mud Terrain Tires for 95 bucks each.. brand new!!! I dont have them.. because I wanted bigger... but if you havent done suspension and you want to go muddin soon.... you should buy them... The grip good... a buddy of mine has them. 31's with stock suspension will look nice. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Well thanks for thinking of me. I really do appreciate it! However, I got 4 brand new 33" Pro Comp Mud Terrains for $85 and a 6 hour drive. Oh and a lot of work on my part (building a website for the guy). Couldn't pass that up! Got the lift in last weekend. We had most of the stuff laying around here to do it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Let's see, bought my '82 and found a week later.... Floor is completely shot (sitting on top of frame), the clanging and banging is from the tailgate moving due to said floor. The bottom of the rear side panels on the inside are gone along with tailgate post bottoms. The front floor has rot spots along the front with holes in the back pockets where the rear passengers' feet go. One Quarter is completely held together by fiberglass and bondo. The tires were shot. Had a cracked leaf spring. All four shocks siezed up. It was missing the front driveshaft (already knew that). The little 4wd drive light didn't (damn, i know, thats a biggie). No A/C or cruise control (already knew that). The distributor was on its last leg as the advance mechanism was rusted stuck along with a new desire to fire on 4 cylinders. Half the vac lines were on wrong and the torque convertor lock-up wasn't hooked up. The windshield leaked. Oh, and my gas tank was being held up by my skidplate.

A year in disassembly and I'm still not done. I'm just glad GM still had the rear floor on hand (that was hell to put in). Its at the painters now getting a new quarter and COMPLETELY resprayed. Lets not get into how much work I had to do for this guy to get that done.

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Dang. Sounds similar to mine. Body looked real good and it must have just been right on the verge of going to heck. Major, big-time rust. Still need to fix the tailgate hinge area and I can see the road down by my rocker when I'm driving. Air conditioning???

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

dont worry, my list alone is longer than this stand of posts...
    he he. an i am sure i make less than A LOT of yall. yall need to vote more bush type folks in office more offthen. i like it when my paycheck goes uppppp upp an away!!
    grant