Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck really pisses me off once in a while (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CyberSniper, Nov 10, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Periodically... my truck will decide something needs to quit working or break just before I go to school in the morning. It doesn't take a [censored] on my face after school. I've been riddled with flat tires, ignition problems, a broken oil pump, spontaneously dead batteries (nothing left on), et cetera.

Today, it spontaneously decided to lose power to the distributor. WHILE running. So I strung new power to the distributor and still don't have spark. I'm wondering if the ICM and/or coil decided to take a [censored] at the same time.

<font color="red">UPDATE:</font>

It turned out to be a bad ignition coil. The first thing I changed was the ignition control module but that didn't fix it. Changed the coil second because I'd just put one in (in like March).

I tracked the "no power to the distributor" down to the connector being tweaked. If the connector was bent just right it got power. That's also fixed.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: My truck really pisses me off once in a while

My first K-10's distributor had a very small wire break off that was almost impossible to see until I took the distributor out. I believe it was underneath the advance weights. It's been a long time but was the only time I have ever called a wrecker to get home (other than crashes) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you mean the pickup coil? ive had the same problem, you can't see the broken wire unless the distributor is out or you bump with the wire with something and it moves.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yea, that's it. Might want to check it if the distributor is dead.