Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck starts in all gears.....WHY

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Aug 20, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

The other day I was working on the K5 and left it in drive by accident. When I went to start the thing it jumped forward and almost smacked my car. I tried to start the K5 in all gears and it started. I know there is a switch for this but where it and can it be adjusted?

Thanks,
    Charles

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

It on the sterring collum,near the fire wall,on top of it(realy bad spot)

it can be adjusted but since it start in all gear i quess it is bad or missing!!

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

There should be a neutral safety switch on the steering column near the firewall. This can be adjusted, but it sounds like yours may be bypassed or broken. The same switch also controls the backup lights.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Two minutes too late. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

Sorry i'm not used to be the fastest one!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I thought it controls the B/U lights so I looked and they come on in reverse. Still broke?

7. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

I think that there are 2 different switch in one housing
    1 back up switch
    2 neutral start switch

i dont think that if one fail the other fail olso.
    And ur adjustement sound kinda right because ur back up light worked!!
    have a look at the switch maybe they have bypass it for some reson

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Probably not if the backup lights are still working unless it is internally. If they are coming on in the right shifter position then it should be aligned correctly. It sounds like the switch is screwed up inside or has been bypassed.

If the wires are still plugged into the switch like they're supposed to be, pull them off and see if it will still start. If it does, then it is not the switch.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There was jsut a post about this from someone changing to a manual from automatic I believe.

And if I remember that right, there will be two LARGE wires, one yellow, one purple, that control "neutral start". A lot of times these *are* bypassed by PO's for some reason, so I'd be looking for those two wires near the drivers side of the steering column, probably with the ends taped together lol.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

those things fail at the worst time
    I bypass that junk
    I have a manual tranny and being able to start in any gear is a great benefit

though I have chased my truck across the back yard at least once but got it stopped before I had to meet the nieghbors

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

lol.

Auto tranny I can see having it in place. But my float got stuck one time on a hill, with the truck partially in a ditch, (no way I was going to push is out) and no one else around. Put it in granny low, got the truck out of the ditch, and pointed nose downhill, and was able to compression start it. (only took about a mile before the carb started working again lol)

Had I an auto, I would have been stuck indefinitely, had I a functioning neutral start/clutch depress switch, I would have had to cut and splice them anyway.