Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck was causing me anguish today.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Sep 12, 2006.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since Capman2K was raggin' on his American vehicle, I figured I'd tell about what happened to me today.

I wake up this AM, and drive my '01 Chevy Duramax dually to work. Before I leave EVERY DAY, I walk around it and inspect it for any kind of flaws. This morning was no different. I walked around it, kicked all six tires, then fired that sweet turbocharged diesel beast up. The straight-piped rumble was pleasing as always. When I leave the parking lot, I turn the radio down so the turbo can "Whistle Dixie" for me.

I arrive at work, shut the torque monster off, and race around to the exhaust pipe so I can hear the whirlygig finish singing it's song to me. I step inside the shop and proceed to be aggravated by cheap pieces of junk that I seemingly fix every other day. Stupidity is what keeps me employed, and Ryobi, Troy-bilt, Bolens......in business.

Lunch rolls around, and I go out to my truck. From the instance I round the front of the truck on my way to the captain's chair, I sense something is wrong. The outer tire on the rear axle is listing terribly. It's curvature isn't quite what I've come to expect from a tire that has 60lbs. of air in it. So I walk over and kick it a swift kick in the walls (HAHA!) It gives me a resounding "flump" and wobbles on it's mount.

"Hmm.....flat."

So I hop in and drive it 1/8th of a mile down the road to the tire shop. Benefits of having a flat on a dually in this situation. Be jealous. Now, I've worked in a tire shop before, and my offroad experience tells me that when a tire is flat, the air got out somehow. The owner and I inspect this tire all over and can find no objects anywhere, nor any sign of a highway scuffle. We air it up to 60-70 psi and listen for leaks....nothing. We use his soapy water spray.....nothing. She's holding air! We decide that I'll keep an eye on it, and if it goes flat, we'll dismount it and take a deeper look.

He walks inside and I get back in the truck, adament on filling my belly now. I insert the key and give it a turn. All the lights and indicators that WERE functioning are now sitting at rock bottom. Nothing happens. I turn the key off, praying that this truck is too smart for it's own good, and that on this next chance to regain my faith, it will start. Not gonna happen. I pop the hood, and begin checking cables. Great! Positive cable on driver's side battery is loose, so I grab a wrench and remove it, removing the corrosion, and reattaching. One last chance to restore my faith - it comes to life!

I head back to the shop, and shut it down. Upon doing so, Chester, a friend of the boss, comes up to me and tells me that I have a light out. I ask which one. He says it's, and I quote, "One of those son's-a-bitches that burn during the day." Fantabulous! Now I have to buy a $5 bulb. This truck is five years old, and it has NEVER had a DRL bulb replaced. I figured it was one of the better trucks Chevy built.

This truck is just getting back at me for all the years my father neglected it. Earlier in the year, it was batteries (AC Delcos SUCK!), then tires, then a surging engine (problem still exists), then transmission acting up (dad never serviced tranny, new external filter fixed that), and now these minor setbacks today.

These kinds of petty things make me such a wonderful person to be around. If it was one BIG problem, I'd be fine, but these little nagging things grate on my nerves.

Rant over.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if ya dont like the truck anymore you can give it to me ;)

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

shoot. I almost pushed it off the edge of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would have taken pics too! HAHA!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My day wasn't the best either..

I spent most of yesterday trying to repair one of the "Cheaply built peices of crap" you refered too!--decided to mow my overgrown lawn,and the idler pulley on my "Yard-Man"'s 46" mower deck decided yesterday was the last day its worn bearing was going to spin..:mad: ..

I'm riding along,everything is fine,then I hear the motor bog down,and the nauseating stench of burning V-belts became very apparent,and a cloud of smoke poured out from under the tractor...great,now the BELTS are cracked and F***** too!..:doah:

I spent 3 hours looking in my sheds,garage,and other piles of spare parts from 20 other tractors I parted out...of course I didn't have anything even close that would fit..:doah:--but ten pulleys that WONT!.. so I tried to remove the bearing from the old pulley,but it was "non replaceable"--the edges of the bore were crimped over the bearing!..so I proceed to grind one lip off,suceeded in removing the remnants of the destroyed bearing,and actually had the dumb luck of finding a bearing in my junk drawer that fit,and had the right size hole in the center..thought my troubles were over,at least long enough to finish the lawn mowing..

I put it all back together,and 5 minutes later,my "new" bearing was seizing already,and the needles were falling out of it--and once again the belts started smoking..:angry1: :angry1: ..guess it didn't like me "installing" it with a hammer and a socket..:blush:

Looks like this might be the last mowing MY lawn gets this year...no lawn mower shops nearby any more,and the tractor needs a few other idler pulleys soon,and other work..I have yet to mow the lawn once without something breaking or falling apart..:mad: ..I aint got a dime for parts,or even gas enough to drive wherever I can find the pulley..:(

I knew it was going to be a bad day right away,when I had to carry a battery,jumper cables,and a gas can 300ft to the shed to JUMP start the tractor,after cranking it for 2 minutes and killing its battery..it was all downhill from there..!:mad:

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wow that sucks. My dad has had the same wheelhorse 48" deck Koohler 18horse motor for about 15 years without any problems. The only problem was when my brother was cutting trails for 4 wheelers and hit one of my ruts from my truck. The deck caved in. A few minutes with a sledge, and a welder and it was ready. But seriously buy a used older tractor. They don't make em like they used to

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

BUY A DRW CTD....and you will:D :D :D :D :D

8. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

im going through all the same kinds of problems with my 71 k5 man, its all little things that wont work correctly. it does piss me off, but when everythning works beautifully, everything is zen.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mower madness...

My "Yardman" has a 20 hp Kohler vertical shaft motor--its the best part of the whole tractor!..it has an oil pump and a spin on filter just like a car,and still runs like new,despite my running it until it overheated ,because the shrouding was clogged with dead mice and rats nests once!:doah: ..only trouble I've had with the motor is the starter drive doesn't always engauge,and I have to spray WD-40 on it to get it to "catch" the flywheel...

I've had many older tractors,like Wheel Horse,IHC Cub Cadets,old Sears "Suburban" ones with 10 hp cast iron Tecumseh motors with Timken bearings on the crank--I miss the cast iron tranaxles with HI-LO range it had!..I never shoulda sold them,but I did get a good price for them..there in NO doubt they "don't build them like they used too"....you could put a bucket loader on the old tractors..mine has a stamped sheet metal "frame" that flexes just going over bumps!..:doah:

I fear the hydrostaic tranny in this tractor will be the next thing to fail..I've never changed its filter,and have no idea where to fill it up with new fluid--no fill plug or dipstick anywhere--and no clue what to use for fluid either..:crazy: