Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck won't stop eating fuses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, May 10, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

My truck won\'t stop eating fuses

Okay, I'm having a big problem with fuses.. specifically my "tail light/complementary" fuses. Every time it rains, this fuse always needs to be replaced. Now, all of my loose wires have been electrical taped and no water can get in. Yet, every time it rains, it ALWAYS goes out. I'm starting to get mad now, because I'm always waiting to get pulled over when I'm driving in the rain. Anyone have any ideas why it keeps shorting out?.. maybe the wrong # fuse (I have a 30 in it). Perhaps my diamond plate of red lights in the rear has been shorting it out? maybe water getting into something? The thing I don't understand is that it's always that one fuse. Help!

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Re: My truck won\'t stop eating fuses

a buddy's blazer did the same thing it was the cigerette lighter when the windshield leaked it would hit the lighter socket

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: My truck won\'t stop eating fuses

After spending days disassembling the whole light system to find a similar problem, it turned out the former owner must have loved the trailer light connector, because he just cut it off and left the wires hanging, well last winter the salt got onto the wire and my lights and fuse box had a field day. I removed everything and replaced each piece one at a time making sure each had a good ground till I found the problem. And which, by the way I had found a broke wire to the rear window and put a splice connector on it , only to have it corrode all over again.
    Tape will not keep the water out....best thing I have found it underground splice taps the phone company uses or take a single wire splice, put the wire in and crimp it down, then fill in around the wire and the open end with RTV, now it will be corrosion and short proof. I now RTV all connectors just in case... If you need anymore help or ideas just ask....happy to help.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1