Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My truck's RTI score

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72THING, Nov 13, 2002.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

My truck\'s RTI score

I've always been curious about the THINGs RTI score, so today I got my dad to lift the rear tire with the forks on a front end loader. It got 40" off the ground before the other rear tire started to lift up. This calculated to a 936 on a 20* ramp and 640 on a 30* ramp. I was really excited that it flexed pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This is on a long box truck with 125" wheelbase. Not too shabby for an old mud truck.

Will

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Re: My truck\'s RTI score

Sweet. Did you have a camera?
    We need pictures!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

ok newbie question what is an RTI score and how do you calculate it ( i do know what flex is you smartalecks) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I made pics with a regular old camera, but I have no way to post them cause I don't have a scanner. I really need to buy a digital camera, but I spent all my money on the truck /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Sorry. But I'd absolutely LOVE to share some of my pics with ya'll.

Will

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

RTI - Ramp Travel Index...drive one tire up an inclined ramp until one of your other tires stops making contact with the ground. At that point, the distance up the ramp your tire makes it is measured. Wheelbase comes into play, as well as the angle of the ramp.
    Well...here's a more complete explanation:
    some link to another page explaning RTI ramps

And here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

6. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how to explain it very well, oh well, here it goes. Its basically a calculation of how well your suspension flexes. RTI stands for Ramp Travel Index. Its simply a ramp set at a certain angle (usually 20 or 30 degrees) that you drive one of your tires up on until another tire starts to come up off the ground. Then the distance is measured on how far you traveled up the ramp. This measurement, combined with the ramp angle and your vehicle's wheelbase is somehow conglomerated into an RTI score. Since I didn't have access to an RTI ramp, I lifted one tire vertically until another tire started to come off the ground and measured this vertical distance. I'm not sure how to calculate it, so I went to www.mark.legendz.com/ramp.html and entered my data and it automatically calculated it. Hope this helps and maybe some body else can explain it better.

Will

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

alright thanks guys, i am much enlightened (bet my truck would get the lowest possible score!)

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stock K5 with the sway off will do close to 600 on a 20. That's better than ANY stock jeep with the sway off /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

Will, nice score. What rear suspension are you running?

10. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Grimmy, a K5 is better in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT than a Heep, except for the width. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

11. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Marc, I appreciate the positive comments. My rear suspension is actually a conglomeration of things. My truck was originally 2WD, so it had trailing arms w/coil springs out back. When my dad and I put leaf springs on the rear, we used 2WD spring hangers for the front part of the rear leaf springs. This doesn't give near as much lift to start with as 4WD spring hangers. (We didn't know this at the time) So to compensate for my front 6" lift springs, my rear has 6" Tuff Country EZ-Rides with an ORD shackle flip AND a 2" block. Those TC springs flex really good and the ORD flip gives it plenty of free-range-of-motion for the shackles. Now I just need to get rid of those crappy Pro Comp springs up front and put Tuff Countrys up there, then I'll get good flex in front AND get rid of the back-breaking ride /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Will

12. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

And except for weight.

Ken H.

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I saw a truck that converted to that trailing arm setup in the rear. Pretty cool, I think he was using front F150 springs or something. I've been toying with that idea for some time now, HMMMMMMMMMM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

If I had to do it over again, I would have left the factory setup in the rear, put the axle under the trailing arms (factory its on top of them) and then dropped the upper coil holders down some if needed to achieve the desired lift to match the front. Then I would fab up an extended panhard rod to compensate for the lift and weld the new mount on top of the rear chunk for it to mount to. This would probably flex like crazy, plus have no axlewrap to speak of. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Will

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

we got the wheel base grim, account for that. im not trying to stick up for heeps, but thats is why.
    but our wheel base gives us much more than just a betterRTI score over a jeep... thats why i own 2 k5's
    Grant