Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Turn at a BUILD THREAD, Updated 9-4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 19, 2007.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Finely i have enough parts that i can start to assemble stuff for my truck.
    first the 454, this is what i started with
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after being at the machine shop for 2 weeks, it comes back to me bored .030 over with new cam bearings, soft plugs, crank ground .010/.010. completely balanced rotating assembly (3 slugs of mallory metal at $60 a peice!!!). i also have .133" dome hypereutectic keith black pistons, moly rings, ZZ502 roller cam, GMPP springs, brand new flywheel from GM, Professional Products balancer, PP air gap intake, and a hole boat load of small stuff from GM. total so far is just over $2500 and i haven't done anything to the heads up yet, not to mention the only thing i have from the heads up is the intake.

but here is what it looks like currently, everything to assemble the shortblock
    [​IMG]
    tomorrow it all goes together. :woot:

i while bored on sunday waiting for the machine shop to call, i also completely dissasembled the front axle i will be using. its the front axle that was in the m1009 military blazer that my dad bought. it was partially disassembled and probably in the best shape of what i had laying around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all i need is the 1350 yoke and i have everything to put this together. hopefully ill start putting this together tomorrow after i get everything i can done with the 454.

2. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Are you going carbed or original injection?

3. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Wahoo!

This is exactly what the garage needs more of! Good quality build threads. Everyone learns off of everyone else. I wish you the best with your build. I look forward to seeing the progress. If you need anything, I'm a PM away. Don't always have an answer, but I'll do my best! Good show! Keep it up! :waytogo:

Manny

4. big83chevy4x4

i wanted to keep the votec EFI, but it'll cost me too much to go that way being that i have no harness and no computer. im going with the 770 truck averger carb. i love my qjet, but have had issues with mud buildup on the sides and it doesn't work right after then.

Manny, ill keep that in mind. thanks

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey TJ, I'm looking forward to this....gotta love the BB's.

What are you going to do with the Intake and plenum from the Vortec?
    Are you using the Vortec heads?

6. big83chevy4x4

yep gonna use the vortec heads, im gonna clean up the intake and exhaust runners a bit, get them to flow a little bit better than stock, nothing crazy here.

the stock intake and plenum will probably sit in the garage collecting dust for who knows how long.

7. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

10 bolt with built 454?

8. big83chevy4x4

didn't get hardly what i wanted to get done.
    cam and lifters installed
    [​IMG]

all set up for filing the ring gap
    [​IMG]
    filing
    [​IMG]
    squaring
    [​IMG]
    checking, still got some more to go :doah:
    [​IMG]

filing ring end gap sucks, and i only had to do the top ring, and check the second ring.

its sealed back up and will install the crank and pistons tomorrow. i just have to find some 7/16" hose to go over the rod bolts.

9. big83chevy4x4

yep, 10 bolt front. i have a crap load of 10 bolt axle shafts. im not worried about breaking that, its not that difficult to swap a shaft. its breaking something in the tranny/tcase/driveshaft im worried about, but that should be worked out by the time i get there.

10. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

454 is a good way to go. I want to build one in the future. Keep up the good work.

11. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

yeah dont go to wild on that bbc, keep the power band down there, my dad just build his dream 427 with something like .700 lift on the cam and i love to drive it but u damn near have to romp it just to get it to move then it snaps ur neck lmao. im lookin forward to seein more progress with this, i wish i had the money to do my 396. good luck with ur build

12. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I am interested in our cam selection, because I need to get a new cam for my 454.

Whatcha got?

13. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

It's been over 24 hours and no update... TJ (if that is your real name) where are you?

14. big83chevy4x4

yes TJ is my real name.
    i only got the crank installed, didn't even torque the main bolts yet. it started raining when i went in the garage and shortly after there was a thin mist on everything in the garage. i sprayed everything down with wd40 then bagged it up. hopefully there is no rust on anything tomorrow.

15. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Well atleast you don't have quite the humidity we do down here, I was sandblasting my axle today and had to hurry up because it was rusting as I went. :eek1:

16. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

TJ what are you gapping to? .018-.020 Top? Moly rings?

17. big83chevy4x4

the top ring is .033", its right between the .0075" and .008" end gap per inch of bore as indicated by keith black for this application. yes they are moly rings.

i went out today to check on the block, the crank is fine, no rust at all, not even any discoloration. the block on the other hand... the gasket surfaces are good, little spots of discoloration that i probably can get up with a razor blade. the bores had some rust. i wiped it down the best i could with shop towels and some wd40, but there is still alot more discoloration than i would like and i can feel something. i don't want to risk the rings, so im gonna talk to the machine shop tomorrow after i pick up my check and see what he thinks should be done if anything. ill see if i can get some pictures of what im talking about.

but for now, im going to go work on the front axle. i got the yoke today. i just need to modify it to work with the seal. it looks like its for a new style axle, the seal is acutally on the yoke it self and not in the housing.

18. big83chevy4x4

im surprised you could actually sand blast. when we get that much humidity, the sand clumps up and won't go threw the blaster.

19. big83chevy4x4

well, here is the cylinders. every one looks like this. this side has a little more than the other side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is the 1350 yoke i had to modify
    [​IMG]
    here is what it looks like now
    [​IMG]
    i thought it was one piece
    [​IMG]

i destroyed an axle seal trying to put it in:doah: . i can get it in the driver side, but not the pass side. ill pick up another one tomorrow and try again.

20. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

pick u up one of those cylinder hones with the balls on the ends and just cross hatch the cylinders again. should take 5 min to get rid of all that rust