Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My turning siginals quit working

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SlicksInRain, Jan 17, 2007.

1. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

Last week my driver side front fender light went out and now the lights quit flashing all together. They used to flash at a very odd tempo, then the lights wouldn't flash, now they don't even go on. The emergency lights still flash, but not the turning siginals. Is this a simple fuse or is there more to it? This hasn't happened in years and last time it happened I didn't fix it. When I got it back the beat was much slower, but they worked.

So what needs to be done to get the truck legal again? Do I got to Pep Boys or the junkyard? Also my hazards don't flash when I hit my brakes... they just stay lit. Does this relate?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Make sure your flasher is tight in the fuse block. Not sure if the emergency flashers have their own circuit or not.

Ira

3. SlicksInRain

Is this located by the fuse box? Sorry I have no idea where to start. :confused:

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Ground ground ground.

This circuit is really goofy. The signals ground through the bulb of the marker light and vise versa, it's really horrid, they did that presumeably so they alternate flash between marker and forward while the signal is on with the park lights on. If the marker or forward turn is out, the other bulb won't ground. I think it's your gound. There's usally 2, one on each side up there. Check those first. Take em off, clean them throughly, wire brush, use a new terminal if nessesary.

Mechanical flashers will change 'tempo' as more or less bulbs are added to the flash circuit. The more bulbs, the slower usally. So when your fender light went out, the flasher probably increased in tempo.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

E-flashers and turn signals use different flasher modules.

It's normal for e-flashers to stop flashing when you step on the brakes. If they didn't, how would anybody behind you know when you're on the brakes?

Your flasher modules are little round "cans" (can be metal or plastic) plugged into your fuse block. It sounds like one of them has gone bad. To check it, swap the two flasher modules and see if your turn signals start working and your e-flashers stop working. If that happens, replace the bad module and then replace any burned-out bulbs.

6. SlicksInRain

I know what a fuse box is, but what's a fuse block and where is it located? Is this under the hood?:confused:

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

They're the same thing. Under the dash, left side.

8. SlicksInRain

Thats a relief. I'll just look up in the manual tomorrow so make sure I inspect the proper "cans." I was hoping it was this easy. Thanks for the info!

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It'll look something like this:

[​IMG]

If it's not the flasher module, then you'll need to dig into the grounds like 73k5blazer said.

10. SlicksInRain

Yup I found it, but I only found one and it's silver. I'll just ask for a stock replacement tomorrow and all should be well.

11. SlicksInRain

I replaced it tonight and my siginals flash again. Thanks everyone.

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest