Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my Ultimate Adventure UPDATE ALUM-Fuel Cell whoas! Need Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Jul 18, 2004.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Okay took the blazer on some fireroads today and the 15gal RCI aluminum fuel cell sprung a crack on length wise weld. No contact was made with the fuel cell but its leaking like a sieve. I tried the bar of soap trick and it held a little and then I cleaned up the crack (damn thing is running along a weld) and used JB Quick weld. Will this work? I still have to drive to Montana tomorrow. Will anyone weld this up? Any longlasting repairs that can be had on an extreme budget? I don't have access to the internet so anyone interested in helping please call me at 970-445-7172 or
    928-899-0225
    Oh, and I'm in Fairplay, CO (near Breckenridge)

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There is a putty type stuff made for gas tanks. I saw it used on monster garage for the big rig trike (if you watch that show). You should be able to find it at pep boys or truck shops.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used some RTV once to seal up my Qjet when it was leaking at the fuel filter. It is by the same people as normal RTV but is designed to be used with fuel. They have 2 kinds. Hard setting and soft setting. I would use the hardset for a tank.

It may require that you have a dry surface to work with though.

Harley

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Juan,

I've heard a bar of shower soap is the temporary fix for this. I've never done it, but I think the gas "melts" the soap - kinda - .... and can seal a crack in a fuel tank./forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Marv

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It is by the same people as normal RTV but is designed to be used with fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Permatex? Blue I think is the fuel resistant one /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Carry a tube of this stuff.It works great.
    [​IMG]

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Okay,
    so far so good... I used the JB Quick Weld and it seems to be holding. I did make it to montana and spent the night drinking (of course). So far I havent been pulled over and I've been missing a taillight (the whole thing actually fell off) since Wyoming.