Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My welder is fubared!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Sep 9, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Well,my trusty old Miller "tombstone" welder decided to crap out the other day--I tried a new extention cord before condemming the welder,but it made no difference--I was hoping the cord was junk,since it was Romex left outdoors and had some spots damaged..It is strange it worked ok the last time I used it-- it trips the curcuit breaker instantly now when I turn it on!--only thing I did out of the norm was to turn the amperage up higher than I usually do to weld a thick bumper made of channel iron,last time I used it!--..putting the adjustment back to 75 amps where I normally use it had no effect... :doah:

I even took off the case of the welder to inspect the wiring inside(not an easy job,on a 40 year old welder with all the screws painted over 20 times! :mad: )..I could see nothing wrong inside at all,the transformer looked fine,no "burnt" smell,and no bare,burnt,or dissconnected wires anywhere..but the minite I turn the switch on I hear a HMMT! and the curcuit breaker trips instantly. :doah: --the outlet works my 220V air compressor fine,so I doubt its the breaker..just my crap luck! :doah:

The switch in the welder LOOKS ok,but I didn't want to mess with 220V ,jumping wires on it! :eek1:I suppose it MIGHT be the switch,but Its so old,I guess anything could have croaked!--I was suprised to see it had no fan to cool the transformer(never did evidently!)--its a huge 150lb monster,so I guess its time to send it to the crusher and buy a newer arc welder... :frown1: --

My friend scored a Miller "Thunderbolt" AC/DC welder at a swap meet in may for TEN BUCKS,because its cord was damaged!--I'm going to ask him if I can buy it off him--he never used it,never even fixed the cord!...I cant live for long without a welder or torches! :tongue1: --like having no arms or hands after you get used to having both! :eek: But I doubt he will want to part with the welder.. :(

...Guess its one more think I'll have to look for at the swap meets coming up--IF I can even afford to go!..the way things are going here,if I dont sell my C10 soon,I'm going to have to apply for welfare or something..seems nobody wants to hire a burnt out 47 year old former parts counterman/lawnmower mechanic that has an elderly mother to look after...Without torches or a welder,its damm near impossible to fix ANYTHING here in the rust belt..and make any money--:doah: :mad: :crazy:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Been looking on google & E-bay...

I guess arc welders have not gone down in price much,despite MIG being the choice of most guys lately!..and the welders look dinky and wimpy compared to antique ones like mine!--I know better than to buy another 110V one again..those are useless!--even the 220V ones look cheap...I think I'd stck with a Lincoln AC-225,or Miller Thunderbolt if I get another "big" one..I'd send mine out to be fixed,but even if it were a simple fix,like the on off switch,I bet it would cost 100 bucks--rather dump the money in a newer unit in a way..

While I was "googling" I came across a welder someone made from a lawnmower motor and an altenator..I'd like to build something like that,because often I want to weld things I cant reach with my usual arc welder--like the wrought iron railings that are loose on my front steps!,and many other things I'd like to build or fix out in my yard..

But I have my doubts about how long it would last...hate to waste a weekend building it,only to have it croak in a few minites!..(I do have a motor,altenators,and cables already)...Anyone have one of them on their off road rigs here??--do they weld good,and how long do you think it would live??

I have to get something--cant just let all my projects come to a standstill this time of year! --too far behind already!:mad: