Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My wheel stud dilemna...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Help me out here, I can't figure out the best way to do this.

My front wheel studs are stock (7/16" thread), but my rear ones are from a 3/4-ton (9/16" thread). Both are 6-lug. Well I'm getting a new set of aluminum wheels with new, bigger rubber (oh, happy, happy day!) and the 9/16" threads won't fit through. I had been thinking before that maybe I would make the front ones bigger, but now I will have to make the rear ones smaller. I called Mickey Thompson and asked if I could use 1/2" threads and they said Yes, which is good, because nobody seems to make a wheel stud with 7/16" thread and the bigger .62" knurl. I think I have found a 1/2" thread one that will work.

The real dilemna is with the front, though. The stud has to have some empty shoulder and then kurling about 1/4" away from the head and nobody makes one just like that with anything but 7/16" thread. I know that I have heard of guys "upgrading" their front wheel studs. What kind of stud are you using and did you have to drill the hub & rotor? Otherwise I'm just gonna have to have different lugs/studs in the front and back.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Can someone at least tell me what wheel stud is used to upgrade the front? I know it's been discussed before.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>