Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my whining for the day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by blazinzuk, Sep 21, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So I have a buddy who is going to Moab next week and he wants me to do a rollcage for him, and mount his winch and redo the front bumper. problem is that he didn't get his trans done until today and I thought I was going to have the truck on Monday. So now he is all pissed at me because I won't let him and his buddy come and use my shop while I am gone this weekend. neither of which have ever used a bender before. I am just pissed at him because he pretty much is going to blame me if he doesn't get to Moab on time. Now I know its not really my fault but I would like to help him get to Moab. I am just ticked at him because I am only charging him like 200 bucks, for all that stuff,at a local shop they were going to charge him 200 bucks just to do the front bumper and winch mount. The thing that really ticks me off is 3 months ago he said he was wanting to swap an auto in. I told him he better start now but he didn't get anything for it until a couple of weeks ago. Man this stuff just fustrates me, I am sure I will be able to get it done for him but still it fustrates me

2. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" Words to live by. It's not your fault that your buddy didn't care enough about his trip to start preparing early, don't let it ruin your day.

3. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I have had a few friends like this AND did you notice I used the word HAD :D . I bet you have alot of money invested in your tools just like I do . I've only loned my tools out to very close friends for a day and I show up to get them back . I do not and will not let buddies and their friends use my stuff when I'm gone . I tell them they need to buy their own tools or pay me to do it . A bunch of people in your shop when you are not there is asking for something to get ripped off so don't do it . It's your buddies loss for not having his chit together is his fault so tell him you will do it next week when you get back . I've learned to quickly rid myself of a user .

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive got a couple of friends that I would trust with any of my tools because I know that they will be returned and if broked replaced. Known the guys for 9 years though, they are not very responsible with there own stuff but when it comes to someone else's they take good care of it.

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I never loan anything to anyone. My neighbor offers to loan me specialty tools from time to time, but I either do without, or go buy it myself. Just how I am.

6. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the thing with me is that most of the time when me or one of my friends has a project we all work together on it. so we all buy different tools and that way we have most of the tools we need without each of us having to spend a fortune to buy all the tools. problem comes when one of us needs something that the other one has.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

neither a lender nor borrower be....

When I was BUILDING my garage,I had to BEG for help!--everyone was too busy with work,girlfriends,wives,kids,etc...but somehow I managed to erect the quonset alone ,they only helped me put the first 2 arches up--after that I was on my own..this was in september..

Well,as soon as the first frost came,I started getting phone calls--hey Bob,is your garage finished yet???...I need to tune my car up--change my oil,etc..:mad:

I didn't get the floor poured until Thanksgiving,and it took me until january to get the end walls built..no one came and helped,but they did call often,to ask if they could "borrow" my shop!..one wanted to PAINT his truck in it,others wanted me to store their hot rods for the winter,etc..while my vehicles rust outside??..I think NOT!!..

Needless to say,I have few "friends" now!..I can count the ones I trust to use my tools,or my shop on one hand,with a leftover finger or two!..once I was stupid enough to let one "friend" leave his motor home generator in my garage "for the winter,until I can have it rebuilt"..

It sat there nearly 3 years,before I got pissed after tripping over it--I hoisted it in my truck,and delivered it 20 miles to the "friends" house,and dumped it on his lawn!..he calls all pissed off,saying I "dented" it..and he threatens to sue me!..after I'd told him 20 times to get it the hell out of my shop!..:mad:

The few friends I do trust,never seem to ask to borrow things,or even ask me to help them if they need it--I almost have to force them to use something I have they lack!..but they are glad to let me use expensive scan tools,or other costly tools like impact guns or torque wrenches..but they know I'd replace them if I broke or lost them too..these guys I've known for 10-20 years..

It takes a lot of years to discover who your REAL friends are,especially when it comes to them using something of yours!..too many times I let someone borrow something,someone I trusted--and THEY lend it to someone else,and I never see it again,or it comes back FUBARED!..so I'm pretty stingy now about lending tools,or the use of my shop..good luck with your dilema..BEEN THERE!:crazy: