Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My wife impressed me this morning regarding gun politics...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 9, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

She told me she thinks gun safety should be mandatory in kindergarten in public schools! :thumb: :thumb:

I completely agree. Her logic comes from the Michael Moore (bowling for Columbine) movie where he went into such detail about the hard life of the poor mother of the boy who brought a pistol to school and shot a little girl. Moore seems to have completely overlooked the fact that a gun was accessible to a kid when it should not have been, and the kid had no concept of gun safety or respect for the weapon. He highlighted how the mother had such a hard life, the uncle was blah blah blah, they were all so poor, yet they leave handguns laying around (I can barely afford a legit handgun, and I'm not at/below the poverty line). I think that undercuts the legitimacy of the picture he's trying to paint of the hardworking, crushed-by-the-man family that experienced a tremendous tragedy because of, um, I'm not sure who he's trying to blame...
    My wife's feeling is that it may be completely possible for any of my son's friends to pick and fire a weapon with no real concept of the danger.
    I don't think my son would, cause I've taught him to get away and get an adult if he ever finds a gun unattended, but I think most non-gun-owner parents don't even address the idea of gun safety, unless it's just to say guns are very dangerous.
    There are also a lot of parents, like the ones in Moore's little film, that are just plain irresponsible and have firearms without teaching their kids anything about them. Those kids may benefit greatly from an education program teaching them not to play with firearms that are irresponsibly left accessible to them.

I was also thinking it might be good to have a course added around 8th grade or so, when they can physically handle a decent powered rifle, that teaches them the basics of handgun and rifle safety, so if they're ever under fire or in a situation where a bad guy has a gun and they don't, they can tell if it's a fake, if the bolts open or something, or even just to give them familiarity so they don't cower on the floor...

I haven't looked at stats in a while, so I don't know if it's an issue worth pursuing or not. Then again, when has the anti-gun crowd let statistics stop them from pursuing an agenda?

I think maybe I'll research this... If it hasn't been tried before and I can get any average Joe support for it, then I'll develope a plan and send it to the next Governor.

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Ratch's wife in :bow: :D 08!!

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Admirable idea but that would leave the gun training up to the educational system, and they can't even teach our kids how to add and subtract in public school. Very scary.

How about the good old fashioned way, teach kids the important things like morals, right and wrong, responsibility and gun safety at home, by someone who really cares.

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

I agree with that!!

Too bad there's extremist, anti-America liberals opposed to morals and ethics of any kind who would fight to their deaths to keep that from happening.

5. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Yeah for all I'd know the teacher would be telling the kids that guns are bad and your parents shouldnt even have them. I believe that it is 100% up to the parents that own a gun to teach a child about guns and gun safety. If you own a gun and you're not responsible enough to teach your kids about guns, then maybe you're not responsible enough to own one.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I understand that it's the parents job, but the motivation for the idea is that parent's are NOT teaching their kids these things... The same thing applies to math homework, sex ed, financial management, etc... Parents are too busy buying Volvo's and ride-on mowers, giving the kids iPods and laptops to stya out of their hair (the things you see doing weekend computer repairs on long island :rolleyes: )...

Obviously, I don't think it's the responsibility of the public school system to teach kids things they should be learning at home. That's a crappy role the school system is poorly equipped to handle but for some reason reaches out to grab, and parents gladly hand it over.
    There are plenty of programs I think the school system has no business teaching, yet they're teaching them; in some cases teaching them poorly and creating sociological effects they don't want to take credit for.

Additionally, how effective has it been to have the media educate kids about firearms? There are parents that are obviously lacking in many aspects of gun safety, or at least in teaching it. Kids end up learning about guns as a side effect of hip hop, TV/Movies, video games, and a pop culture that doesn't reflect reality. These things are all contributing educators of kids, and they don't teach the correct approach to a lot of things. A structured, realistic school program would probably teach better ways to handle a firearm. If anything, at least to teach them how to check if it's loaded or not and to never point the muzzle anywhere.

"They shouldn't own a gun if they don't know how to store it safely or teach their own kids gun safety"; That's a great point, obvious, but apparently not effective. The concept is un-enforcable unless you'll accept gun registration and a government rep coming by to test your kids on what you've taught them...

In my opinion, the problem with a kids perception of a gun is that they're commonplace as toys, and for some kids, virtually non-existant as real objects.
    So 5-year-old Johnny has absolutely no realistic concept of gun safety. He goes to play at 5-year-old Robert's house. Robbie's dad has a couple handguns and rifles, and Robbie is very educated and knows they're not toys and to not touch them without Daddy around.
    Little Johnny likes pretending he's shooting people, how cool would it be for him to play with a real gun? If he can find some way to get his hands on one of Robbie's daddy's guns, it's not the gun owners fault this kid is uneducated. Kids are very capable, depending on locking up a gun to be 100% kid-deterrent is plain foolish.
    Or suppose Robbie's daddy has decided when Robbie's 10, he'll teach him how to shoot, but before that, he doesn't need any exposure. So little Johnny comes over, and Robbie says "I know where my dad hides the key to his gun safe". It's not unrealistic...

But on more consideration, it would be something absolutely impossible to implement. Too many anti-gun nuts would consider it a desensitization of kids towards guns. They would rather more kids remain ignorant, and more people think "Guns are scary" when they grow up... :rolleyes:

7. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Yep...I totally agree Ratch. It would definitley be great to see the youngins educated on gun safety. And give your wife a pat on the back for me. :waytogo: Too many people fall prey to the anti-gun propoganda these days (especially women).

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

No one should ever fear an object. Properly respect, but not fear. Teach the kids some personal responsibility and blend that into gunslinging.

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Done.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know about mandatory (too many problems with the anti crowd), but they "taught" archery in my high school as part of PE, so I don't see why a voluntary offering would be a problem. It would definately be a good idea.

11. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Even if a police officer took a day to come and explain gun saftey, I think it would help.

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I don't know of any public school that has offered firearms training for at least 20 years, too much liability (they don't want the cbbr types suing them :D )

As a matter of fact I seem to remember them banning the photos of some kids from the year book because they wanted to use their hunting club pics.

Just remember; as far as all public schools are concerned, "Guns are bad mmmmmkay"

13. cbbr

Wildlife Agents teach the mandatory hunters education courses here - they could probably handle that also.

14. cbbr

Damn Lwayers. :D

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That I'd be OK with, the DOW guys here are great. They actually ofer a "Jr" hunter's ed class here and a firearms safety class as well. There is a local DOW Youth Outreach program that was featured in the paper today, they actually take kids (and parents with no hunting experience) out for their first hunt.

Here, I found a link, pretty good story actually:

http://www.gjfreepress.com/home.php...28&PHPSESSID=914c48de84277e0fc6b071eb97318d54

She looked at me with her bright green eyes and excitedly uttered the phrase all fathers long to hear from their beloved daughters, “Dad, I need more bullets!”

I teared up, I was so proud.

And so it was that we joined five other Grand Valley kids, their parents and a herd of Colorado Division of Wildlife officers and volunteers for a DOW Youth Hunt. The program introduces kids to the wonders of nature and conservation, as well as the thrill of hunting. The long-range goal is to turn these people into life-long sportsmen and sportswomen.

So far this year on the Western Slope, the DOW has hosted 27 hunters on five big-game hunts for both youth and women. They also host pheasant hunts and waterfowl hunts.

Hiking back to the truck, the young hunter is asked, “What did it look like in your scope, through those crosshairs?”

She smiled and said, “It looked like meat in the freezer.”

God I like that kid already.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i got an idea for a gun safety video... Michael Moore, this chick that's camping out front of the president's pad, Saddam Hussein, and some other well known "bad guys", shoot them on film to show how dangerous guns really are. its a win-win situation, we get a powerful video for gun safety, and take out the trash at the same time. :D

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and damn public schools for not teaching you to spell. :haha:

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

bwaaahahahaha :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

damn uneducated lawyers. :p: