Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My wife VS. new trans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Aug 23, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I told my wife the other day that I was gonna put a NV4500 in the truck. I think I said a stick transmission so she would understand. Well long story short I cannot do it until the 700r4 breaks. It has ~180K on it and a huge cooler. It lived most of its life behind a stock 350 and followed by 3.08s and 31s. It now has 4.10s and 37s with the same weak ass 350. She then goes on to tell me that I can not purposely break it (she knows me well:D ) and she thinks it should last 250K more:eek1: . What can I do to get my NV4500 and doubler? I dont need it but who here really "needs" anything we do to our rigs:D .

That is all

Ira

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

swap the 3.08's back in for a while :haha:

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    I dont have the 10 bolts anymore and if I did it would suk to make the gears fit in my 60 and 14FF:D

Ira

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

start in 2nd gear all the time that'll heater up and remove the cooler ...... actually loop the lines out of the tranny together and "adjust" your TV cable

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Pinch off one of the cooler lines and then do a 4 minute burnout

That should do it :D

Take a video too

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think you missed the part about weak ass 350:D . It has as many miles as the tranny. I suppose a 4 lo with hubs unlocked could turn them pretty decent:D .

Ira

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

dont be so obvious about it. if it goes in the next month, she'll know whats up. play with it for a few more runs, then shave some weight off of it because its too "nose heavy" start with things like your tranny cooler. 2nd gear starts, and beat the piss out of it! :waytogo:

does it have a hitch on it? if it does, you could always hook it up to a car trailer, since your buddy needs an emergency tow. ;) then just make sure that what you put on the trailer will drag your broken truck home without problems. :deal:

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is what I am thinking. I get my bonus in October and should be enough to get a bolt in NV4500 setup complete. But then I have the doubler and new HAD drivelines:D .

Ira

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I happen to "need" every single one of my rigs and all my tools in my garage and thats a fact. :D

10. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I used to have an NV...

Leave the 700 in it. Autos can be built for anything and are more multipurpose.

My $.02

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

are you offereing to let him help you move all of your stuff to one location? now that's what CK5 is all about! helping each other out!

(dont forget to tow in overdrive)

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

lets see... guaranteed 5.61-6.32:1 low gear (depending on trans year IIRC), or a 3.06 that through a fluid coupling, so you're not guaranteed to get that much out of it. im going to guess since he's installing a doubler, he's not just bashing through the mud, but hitting up some rocks where he needs crawl ratio. you cant beat a 4500.

turn an auto on its side and uncover the fluid pickup... now try to power out of the situation. let me know how that works out for ya...

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Give a good tug on the lockup wires so that it looks more like they got caught on something and tore off. Without the lockup working it will kill the tranny pretty quick since it will run hot now all the time without the convertor locking up like it should. :deal:

14. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I don't need gear ratios or a lesson on how transmissions work. :rolleyes:

Sandawg is a friend of mine and I've wheeled with him. A built auto wouldn't be a bad choice. A doubler and two-footing it would provide plenty of control in the rocks, I believe, and if he ever wants to get over a dune, thru a mudhole, or up a wet clime, the NV can't touch an auto.

Auto vs manual argument is as old as cars. It depends on driver pref and what he wants to do with it. There is no absolute 1 is better than the other, but and auto can be built to do things a stick can do, and behave like an auto as well. A stick is a stick, and a truck stick is big, clunky, and slow.

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree that the debate is old and both partys have valid points but it's hard to argue the rock solid relaibility of a manual. a clutch is cheaper than a whole tranny also. BUT the auto rules in the dunes

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep I know what you where getting at. Yes I do drive with 2 feet when I am offroad and I do rock and no mud cause I hate cleaning the truck. I want a stick cause I want a stick that is the whole reason. And crawl ratio is like some of those multishock trucks. It makes up for areas where I am "lacking":D

Ira

17. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you could put a small hole in the cooler lines one day and forget to check the fluid.:D

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Dunes scare me. I am not skilled in dunes and I get nervous if I do not make it and have to come down backwards.:o

Ira

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Enough of the lounge stuff this is a tech forum bitches:D . I remember how much trouble Readymix had with the dunes and his 465 and how the auto rigs could just run em cause they would shift "automatically":D . I just have always wanted a manual but was too impatient to wait and get what I wanted now I am doing what I want. Reality is I will prolly run this thing until it dies legit. And then I will decide what to do. Nothing like jammin gears though even if the shift pattern has a 1 foot throw:D

Ira

20. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

nice version~just tell her you want to do it now before the tranny goes bad, that way you can sell the tranny and make a little money instead of having a broke tranny sitting around

not so nice version~ Go grab her purse, take your nuts out put them back on and tell her thats how it is:D :haha: j/k