Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My windshied leaks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 12, 2001.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I have just gotten my Blazer, and the windshield is leaking on the passenger side. The gasket seems to be intact, but the damn thing still leaks. Any suggestions? Is this a normal leak location? If so, I'll just have a new windshield slapped in.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes that is a normal leak location. It might not be the windsheild though. I just had my windsheild removed and re-sealed and that cured the leak on the driver's side but not on the passenger side. I'm still looking for where it is coming in.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had a glass place come and seal mine with some rubber type thing. It seems to have worked.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. windrider

windrider Registered Member

A lot of times they rust there and you get pin holes. That may be the case. Unless you stop the rust, It may leak later even if you reseal it.

5. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

If its the original windshield or even if its not
    from the factory they weren't sealed with any type of
    silicone or urethane and many windshield repair places didn't bother adding a sealant because it wasn't required
    they would simply get new rubber trim and locking strip
    and apply around the outside of the glass and use a handy rubber tool to scribe along the outside lip to get over the metal
    and use a mallet to pound the locking strip in place
    and was good and sealed but overtime things change, rot out
    rust out so in reasoning when I put mine in my 84 I put a bead of silicone around it, its better to be safe than sorry!

If it ain't Intimidating / It ain't a Chevy!

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

This is what I did the first time I had my windshield out. I took the whole thing out, got a rag and put paint thinner on it. Got all the junk out of where the seal goes and put the windshield back in. That took care or 2/3 of the leaks...not bad...so if you have 1 leak, hopefully thta will get rid of it.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I had a leak on the drivers side, so I did the same as Ditchdigger and ran a bead of silicone around it and no more leaks [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

8. 89VJimmy

89VJimmy Registered Member

Biggest problem with these widsheilds are the leaks you don't notice. The bottom gasket lets in a small amount of water that runs behind the dash down to the carpet. Pull up the rug and the matting under the carpet will probably be soaked. It can hold the water under there for months without the carpeting on top feeling wet. Worst part is it's going to work on the floor right now. I'm on my way to the glass shop for the 4th time to get this done right. The book says this type gasket doesn't need sealant, and even after I convinced them to use sealant it still leaked. It needs to be removed, the whole area cleaned, sealed, new gasket, and then replaced. Then you should test it for leaks. Once that's all done, THEN I can get to work repairing the floor, replace all the carpets, and get the seats bolted back in. All because of the damn windshield!