Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Wipers are possesed!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

My 87 Jimmy has possesed wipers! I know that almost all of the k5's do but mine annoy me. I have the loaded truck so I have intermittant wipers also. Some times on intermittant they will work, then when the time is up for the next wipe they will only move a little then stop, and wait until the time cycle and maybe work that time, sometimes it takes more than one hesitation. Some times on low they will chatter, like not move in a smooth action, they will chatter along, I know it is not the wiper blades sticking or not having enough water on the windsheild. It is definitly the wipers. My big question is for anyone thats fixed this problem, is it the wiper motor and relay thats the prob or my switch? When they act up I will try to jiggle the switch on the collumn but it makes no difference so I'm thinking it is the wiper motor or relay thingy on it. Also whenever I disconnect the battery they always mess up for at least a month and finally come out of it. I do work on the truck and leave the battery connected unless I absalutely have to disconnect it. Also it seams to be a cold weather thing, now that the weather is finally starting to warm up a little, they are coming out of thier fits and working like wipers should. Any help would be nice. Thanks.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com>http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com</A>

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

chevys are bad about this i have owned servral with this problem to fix it i would install a switch to the hot wire that feeds the wipers when i got ready to use them i would cut on the power to them

4x4k20

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine only does it when it's somewhat cold outside - It never does it when I put my little ceramic heater in at night though - maybe you could try that!

[​IMG]

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

New wiper motor seems to have fixed my problem, but thats a bit extreme...if you've got a used one around, or can get one really cheap, try that. Swapping the delay module (under the dash) is easy to do, and they should be pretty easy to find in a wrecking yard.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

5. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

It only effects mine when it is raining, weird, not sure why....but I just accept it as personality and stick my head out the window :)
    rezalB

Built for a purpose.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I found a corroded fuse that was causing my problems. I cleaned the fuse holder and put in a new fuse. All is well now. I think thats where my old windshield used to leak water. All my fuses were like that.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

7. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing for a while right after I bought it. I let it go for a while and it cleared up and hasn't done it for probably a year now. Not sure what it was until it starts doing it again.

[​IMG]
    BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!