Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mysterious 89-91 Dually Suburban Spotted!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nonesuch, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I was driving home from the in-laws house today and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a 1 ton (using an 8 lug 10 bolt) dually GMC suburban. I locked em up, threw it in reverse and sat in the road drooling on my window sill. It was a really interesting and not too bad looking either. I hope the next time I stop by the guy will be home so I can ask him some questions about it.
    Justin

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If it had an 8 lug 10 bolt it would be a 3/4 ton. One tons only had dana 60's up front. It was probably a custom ride.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've seen a few of those rigs over the years. The ones that I've seen looked like someone had just taken the rear end and fender flares off of a dually pickup and fit them on the Sub. I don't think GM ever offered them in that configuration from the factory.

4. There are 3 or 4 of them running around here locally. I have thought about the idea of a 1 on dually burb sitting on 38's or 42's !!

5. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I've never seen a dually burb, but I did see a 10 door one. No lie, had 5 doors on each side. Wasn't a fancy limo either. had to do a triple take to make sure I wasn't imaging things

6. That was a bus man, LOL !!! I have seen them made into stretch Limos' a few times at shows, but the dually Burbs have been a customize job that I have seen frequently and all over the U.S.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There was a company in the Boston area that used those stretched Burbs to take people to and from the airport. It was some kind of low-budget limo service. The things were huge... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i want the black one in twister. that thing was nice looking
    grant

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I thought about doing that to the wives Sub.It would make for a great tow rig.But now I have a '77 1 ton crew cab dually so no need.Got any pics?Would like to see what it looks like.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There are a couple around Atlanta. I'm beginning to wonder if there wasn't a conversion company doing these as many as people see. My guess if it was a conversion it was to produce a Heavy duty towrig for large campers. Probably marketed to large family's The two I have seen local were 2wd's built on a 3/4 ton platform. Both had 454's. Actually a pretty good idea if you think about it. All off the shelf parts to do the conversion. The burb has enough rear quarter that handle the dually fenders even.
    One I have seen looked factory. Had factory 454 badge's. THe other is owned by a guy in a city north of Atlanta. He parked it at a Park and ride deal. Talked to him for a few minutes about it. It was totaly costomized. It was actually lowered some (not drastic). Had a wild paint job with graphics incorperating a checkerd flag. He used it to tow his Dirt track car. Didn't think to ask him if he did the conversion or to get any history. A few months later is when I passed the other one.

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I guess you could call it a 7/8 ton rig. It had a one ton dually rear with the large drum brakes (13x3). I know that before GM started using dana 60's in '77 they used 3/4 ton fronts (8 lug dana 44's) in all of their 1 ton lineup.

I read in another thread that GM built some dually subs specifically for the military. I am not sure if this is fact or fiction but I can easily understand the reasoning for wanting such a rig. Needless to say, if it was custom or not, it was a very interesting rig.

If I see it again on my next trip to the In-laws, I will get some pics.

Justin

12. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

13. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I had a dually Blazer up until about a month ago. No big fender flares though, but the rear tires fit under the wheel well.

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

One company that sells those dually conversions has an ad in the back of 4 Wheeler every month. Look and you will see it in the latest issue. Ad says it uses the stock rear axle!?!! Pretty much for looks only.

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have an old FOURWHEELER issue ('93?) that had an article on converting a sub into a dually. It's pretty interresting.

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

this dually sub looked a helluva lot better than those conversions on that first link. On the other hand, the second link, that thing looks pretty cool. It would be better if the flames were ghosted and not so outstandish...is that a word?
    Justin

17. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

I saw that truck in truckin mag. It was made for the SEMA shoe and is actually for sale for anyone interested. I think he wants like $70G's for it!

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I considered doing this. Making my Blazer a dually with the rear tires out and put some flares on it. Wouldn't be a purpose other tahn just being a really short dually /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Don't haul anything where I need one.

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive even seen a couple of these 88-up dually burbs, even around here where theres no real point in having one cept for the coolness of it. wonder what production was of them, factory or conversion Co.

hmm..

they look cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

20. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Poster: HarryH3
    Subject: Re: Mysterious 89-91 Dually Suburban Spotted!

There was a company in the Boston area that used those stretched Burbs to take people to and from the airport. It was some kind of low-budget limo service. The things were huge...

[/ QUOTE ]

The company is "Connecticut Limo" and they were used for airport shuttles.