Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mysterious Oil Leak HELP !!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Nov 12, 2000.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Okay.. I have an oil leak and it's about to drive me insane trying to figure it out. I've replaced the valve cover gaskets, that stopped it temporarily. Now it's back.. looks like it's around the oil filter base or just above.. near the oil sending/pressure unit.
    Has anyone had a problem like this? I had an oil cooler on it, that had a pin hole causing IT to leak.. So I removed the oil cooler adapter, left the lines on til I can pull the grille off to remove the cooler completely.
    So I'm thinking maybe the oil filter adapter I put in place of the cooler adapter might be bad..
    Any other suggestions before I pull out my hair?
    Thanks.

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

It could be the oil sending unit itself. A leaking sending unit is very common problem. I had a similar leak on another vehicle that was hard to pinpoint. I wiped the oil from around the sending unit real good and sprayed the area with Berryman ChemTool to get the last traces of oil cleaned off. I then ran the engine until it was fully warmed up. My leak was coming from the sending unit, and it was very obvious to see after performing the cleaning process. Good Luck

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Gandolf.. That's what I was hoping it was. It looks like it's leaking above where the oil filter base is.. and below the valve covers are.
    So.. is that a dealer item? "SENDING UNIT" or is it something I can find at any parts store.
    Talk to you later.

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Sending unit is probably your best bet. You can get them at any parts store I am pretty sure. You said that replaceing your vavle cover gasket solved the problem temporarily? Check your PCV valve. It may be causing pressure to build up and the oil forces its way out.

Sparky

78 K-5

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You said you removed the adapter, not the cooler right? Did you plug the lines for the cooler? I did that once and didn't even think about plugging the lines and they hold about three quarts. Just a thought.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone.. great suggestions thus far. I'll check it all out tomorrow. The PCV valve is new.. and the oil isn't coming from the top of the engine.. it's about midway down on the drivers side.
    Would it be a good idea to put Teflon on the oil sending unit when I replace it?