Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mysterious oil leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Aug 4, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I have an oil leak and it is driving me nuts. I looks like it is coming right from the oil pressure sending unit behind the intake manifold. However, I sealed it up real good with loc tite hydraulic adhesive. Stuff is rated for 400* and I think 150psi.

My question is there a oil chanel going through the intake manifold. Could my intake manifold be leaking the oil? It is an Edelbrock intake manifold, and I did a good job when I put it on. Used silicone on the front and back edge. From underneath when you shine a light up you can see the back of the manifold and it looks good and clean. Lots of oil around the ledge where the pressure sending unit screws in. I also put in new valve cover gaskets.

Anyone konw if oil shoots up underneath the intake manifold? I cannot remember.

I don't think it's coming from the distributor either.

-Chris

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Yup, still leaking, any thoughts?

-Chris

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

No oil channels in the intake. Sounds like either the gasket under the distributor or that sending unit. Could either be the unit itself or leaking around the threads. I use teflon tape on the threads and have never had a problem

4. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif do you keep the valve covers tight? new gaskets and all.....????(they always loosen up)
    but I guess they would leak downwards and not on to the intake right /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    big pappa's probably gotta better lead anyway

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It could be the intake,where it sits on the block(where the silicone sealer is in place of the rubber end seals,you didnt use the rubber seals AND silicone,did you??)The lifter galley under the intake has lots of oil splashing around under the intake,the stock GM intakes have a tin sheild under the carb area so the oil wont bake onto the intake due to the EGR and heat riser passages--most aluminum aftermarket intakes have no sheild there.
    It doesnt take but one good backfire to blow out the silicone from the ends of the intake .I've seen the rubber seals work their way out too,even the ones with the dowel holes in them--thats why GM decided just silicone was better.I'd make sure its not the sending unit before your tear anything apart.The intake bolts in the center of the intake nearest the carb can leak lots of oil if you dont put sealer on them,that will blow back onto the rear of the motor and mimic a rear main seal or other leak also.And the O-ring on the distributor too,like the other post said. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I guess I'm going to have to be smart when I attack this problem. I'm thinking just start siliconing seems up one by one and drive it for a day until the leak stops. Then I can take apart whatever is leaking and give it a proper gasket. I hate leaks so much.

-Chris