Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mystery Part........

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ChevyHuny, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

During my rebuild I came across a part that did not go on my truck. I put it aside and forgot about it. Now In logging everything and taking pictures I came across it again.

[​IMG]

I know that it came from a 96 to 97 3/4 ton pickup truck. I took everything from under the hood including an engine when I did my rebuild but my truck is a half ton and I ended up not needing it. My guess is that it is part of the air intake as it is made out of the same material as the air box and such on my truck.

What in the heck is it? I would like to try to sell it along with a bunch of other parts too but I have no clue what it is. Does anyone know?

P.S. It has a bracket that wraps around the middle of the unit and hooks to the under neath it with a hole in the middle for a bolt to screw in. If that helps.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

You're right it is the air intake. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Which part though. Where on a 3/4 ton truck does it go and what would I call it? This way I can find out its worth.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

while looking at the pic the right side hooks to the inner fender on the passenger side and the left side hooks to the air cleaner. I'm not sure if on the 3/4 they had it go to the core surport instead of the inner fender though. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Does the big round part have a filter in it or is it straight through?

I'll try to round up that pic we found a while back of a complete Vortec....

-Jeremy
    Soon to be a " /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif"

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Its just a straight through. Maybe it is a "ram air" type of part to give the engine some extra cool air that the have for 3/4 tons? I plan on calling chevy to ask how much the sell them for but I dont know what to ask for. lol

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I uploaded the pic to my webshots folder, under "other items" I just did it so it takes a half hour :P

The one you have pictured almost look slike a 88 to 95 style ???

-Jeremy
    Soon to be a" /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif"

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I don't remember this part anywhere on my 93. I could be wrong though. I couldn't find it in my chilton either. The mystery continues LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had that part on my '92 one ton. Air comes in from the front, through the fender and into that for fresh cool restrictive air. I threw mine away and flipped the lid of the air cleaner over. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That part mounts between the air filter housing and the air intake in the passenger side fender. The big oval part is the air intake silencer. The flex part just allows for the engine to move around in its mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah, IMHO it isn't worth the cost of shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thanks you guys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well at least I do not have to hassle with trying to sell it to not get anything out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My 92 Yukon has that part. Don't think it serves any useful purpose.