Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mystery problem (driveline) related

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Mar 18, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok a few weeks ago after wheelin, on the way home something was going like the tranny was jumping outta gear and instantly back in, or the t-case, or something. Whatever it is its like a loud thud/clunck at no set consistancy or intervals. Just wham, then everything is fine. Cruise a few more hundred yards then WHAM!...Another mile or 2, then wham!!! <font color=red> IT has not been fixed with the replaced parts in the T-case and a different tranny.</font color=red> The only other thing I haven't checked it the gears in the rear end.
    Any other ideas? I need to replace this ASAP.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you pulled the cover off the diff and had a look see?

Rene

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

soon as the wife gets back to watch the baby that what Im doing

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Update, just theorized what it feels like.
    Feels like a hard shift kit, but its happening while at cruising speeds. But I know its not the tranny. Just replaced it.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Perhaps missing a tooth or two off of the ring gear? Not many other places to look after replacing/fixing the tranny/t-case...I'm curious to hear what it is...

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Rene just mentioned something about similar problem from a bad ERG? Possible?????

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you ever tried to drive a vehicle that was running out of gas, or starving for it? Thats a very violent lurch, and an EGR acting (up) could most certainly cause that...you tried running with the vac. line disconnected? Easier than pulling a diff cover : )

I wouldn't expect the EGR to cause that much problem at higher (say 60mph) speeds, just because I don't think it can route THAT much exhaust back into the system at higher engine speeds. But at idle, EGR will kill the engine if its active.

8. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it's a loud thud/clunk and not a clunk/thud? They sound almost the same... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. I'd start by pulling the diff cover and checking the ring &amp; pinion. My `82 K5 had a problem like yours once... the bolt came out that retains the steel pin the spider gears ride on, allowing the pin to slide out of position. Every revolution the carrier made, the pin would smack into the pinion. It did a real nice job of machining the teeth on the pinion.

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Not sure about this, but I checked the diff and everything was peachy. But while down there I noticed some rocks that had gotten in between the wheel and the brake drum, removed those and no more mystery noise. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LMAO!!!! So you practically rebuilt the T-case, added a new tranny all because of a couple of rocks? I thought that crap only happened to me!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Rene

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Unfortunately Rene, your not the only lucky one /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Please feel free to visit my other post on performance issues with recent mods list. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Isn't that the worst thing, mystery noises that are caused by some simple problem easily fixed, but not easy to figure out.

13. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

Or it could be gravel in the brake drums... that was going to be my second post but you beat me to it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Glad it was nothing serious.