Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mythbusters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 6, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I understand its entertainment, but the idea of a scientific method seems to escape them sometimes, and sometimes, LOGIC goes out the window. Tonight(could be old I have no idea), but they were testing the idea of "blowing somoene away". THey were trying to throw a body by shooting it. They completely ignored the idea of muscular reaction. Someone being shot isn't going to stand there and wait for the next shot. The force of a deer slug hitting you is gonna make your body react big time. Eh they were just talking the ten foot throw back I'm guessing.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's not too kind to a 4x6 cedar post at 10 feet, I can tell you that much

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

A: if you get hit by a round traveling at 3K FPS+/_ there's not much time to react and the energy tansferred to the body is significant.

B: Lighten up, it's just two geeks getting paid to do sh*t most of us would love to do! :D

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know, I love the show, and they often mention such things, but in this case, they simply ignored it.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They always try to give the myth the benifit of the doubt. That is make the easiest circumstances for it to occur in a controlled manner. If that doesn't work they get creative on the way to unrealistic (anybody see the celing fan experiment?)

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep...yikes

I do like how they try and make the myths work though...it keeps it entertaining. I remember the one about the "killer washing machine". They ended up stripping the washing machine down to just the drum and hooking up the electric motor out of a hybrid car :eek1:

Back on topic though...yes, they do ignore obvious things sometimes. But, I seriously doubt that a lot of people ever catch their slips.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

When they did the birdstrike think, with the frozen and thawed chickens against the plane windsheild. Thought it was bad that their windsheilds ended out not being rated for birdstrikes, but it sure gave me a hell of an idea for a potato gun :laugh:

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the only one i saw (don;t have cable or sat :() was the cherry bomb in the cement truck. they started with a firecracker, and ended with a stick of dynamite. then they take another truck and load the hell out of it with explosive, like 2000lbs. they had to have a clear area of a 2 mile radius or something like that. the explosion was sweet

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Didn't see the episode, but...

Most commercial aircraft windscreens are birdstrike-tested with the windscreen heat on. Why? Because that's how the airplane will always be configured in flight. The materials that make up a windscreen are selected to be their most impact-resistant at the temperature the anti-ice system maintains the windscreen at. If they didn't have the heat on, that's probably why the windscreen failed.
    Oh, FYI - just because the outer pane breaks, does not by definition constitute a windscreen failure. If the windscreen stays intact and does not breach the pressure integrity of the cabin after a strike, it did it's job. :thumb: :thumb:

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

It wasent a comerical plane, it was a cesna, and the chicken went right through it :D

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Gotcha. :doah:
    Most light civil planes don't have enough structure to back-up a birdstrike-resistant windscreen, so they make the windscreen sacrificial.

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya thats what they said they found out after they did the tests, thats why the re-did the test with regular sheet glass on another episode, i guess they couldent get a comercial plane windscreen

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw that episode. I know it's for entertainment, but from what I could see, the .308 was FMJ, which doesn't transmit nearly as much force as something that expands.

I know, never going to knock someone back 10 feet, but if it pushes you backwards, if energy transfer was efficient (more frontal area to the round, like the slug) then it would HAVE to shove the target back some.

I've seen a few tests that they could have done a better job of getting facts on before testing, but it's still fun to watch. It is, after all, entertainment. :)

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Also remember that the "test dummy" pig was being held from above. A person, standing, would fall. Pivoting from the below would make some difference. My oldest son and I love that show - He loves the silly crap and I like that it is not offensive and makes him think.