Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mythbusters...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did the myth about cable cutting someone in half if it breaks under tension. Now, granted, I'm sure there are fatalities from this sort of thing...but their setup was just stupid.

The cable acts like a whip when broken. The highest speed is achieved at the very tip of the broken whipping segment. They positioned the pig like a foot away from the original path of the cable...E=1/2m(v squared)...if there's very little velocity, it doesn't matter how much mass a 5/8" cable has. Move the pig out a few feet to get closer to the tip and I'd bet you'd have an actual result.

Special effects experience or not, sometimes common sense needs to be used. :doah:

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

sometimes the things they do have me scratching my head as to how they do myths...for the most part the arent bad...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They should do one on yank straps with shackles attached to them...:D

Rene

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

DAMN RIGHT. rene

yeah do some stuff that makes sence but others they fall short.

speaking of this was watching dirty jobs, when he when into a colorado marble mine, they were yanking out a block with a track hoe when the cable sling snapped it was atached to a longer cable with a very larg shackel, man that shackel hit that buckit so hard, they should have stuck a pig there, it would have SPLASHED every where~!

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

You guys need to send some emails to Jamie and Adam then about what they did wrong with the cable setup. I watched it too and kinda thought they didn't do it right, but don't have any experience myself with cables so I have no right to email and tell they did it wrong. But yeah, hopefully they'll get a ton of emails telling them to redo the myth with a better set up.

I also kinda think the pottery recording myth could have been done a little better, or at least taken a little further. After failing with the straw to get any kind of audio signal on the pottery, they could have then moved on to using maybe a fine sewing needle and taping that to the small hand drum they were using as an amplifier to make the needle vibrate.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Eh, I don't think the actual intent was maximum carnage

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They've had at least one where they "proved" the myth was busted, but then came back and said it had actually happened. Bottom line, don't believe everything you see on TV.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That last cable would have killed you whether it cut you in half or not.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Anybody watch the rerun episode that was on last night too where Jamie and Adam put that 51" fabricated subwoofer in a Mercedes and drove it off the diesel transmission's driveshaft to see if they could destroy the car with soundwaves?

10. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I caught the end of the subwoofer one last night. Since I didn't see the whole thing I'm not sure what exactly they did, but they said it was impossible to shatter glass with it. I don't think that is right.

11. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I call BS on not being able to break glass with sound. Explain to me why the loudest (sound system) vehicle on the planet has 6 inches of plexi for the windshield?

12. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

sound should have no problem breaking glass as long as it is at the correct frequency for the renasence(sp) of the specific glass

13. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pop it out and shatter are two different things the 6in is so it doesn't pop out

14. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

About the glass... I've seen people shatter windows with as little as two 12" subs. Camaro hatches are among the worst. And now a wheelin' incident related to the cable snapping... In college we went muddin' and snow bombin' whenever we could. Usually it was just two of us, but for this particular incident a few more came along. There was my K2500, a S10, and a TJ, all on 31 or 32" muds. There was this "level B" road (unserviced) at the end of a gravel road, and my Jeep buddy wanted to hit it. He never really wheeled before. The snow started at probably 1' deep and got deeper from there, with ditches on both sides. I told him to drive as far down the gravel as he had balls to and hit that thing as fast as he could. Well he hit it at over 70MPH and went in a good 200 yards, into snow that was about hood deep. The furthest any of us had gone to this point was 30-50 yards max. My friend in the S10 (who knew how to wheel and drive) tried to get closer to him, and ended up buried probably 1/2 way to the jeep maybe a little closer. Now, with night coming and a snowstorm too, and being 5+ miles from town we dug him and snatched him out, he was in the ditch so it took some effort. I aired down and went back and forth to pack the snow toward the jeep, and got close enough to hook my two 30' straps end to end with a shackle and hook to the jeep. Before we'd left I told everyone to STAY IN THE TRUCKS... especially if we got stuck. Well, I hooked er up, and got a good run to get a yank on the heep, and as soon as she tightened up, POW, one of the straps broke (some moron ran over it when I tried to be a good samaritan and tow a broke down car- that's another story) and the strap with the shackle on it HITS ONE OF MY FRIENDS IN HIS NUTS! He didn't listen and was standing in front of the Jeep where he thought he'd be out of harms way and I didn't know he was there (I was hooked on the rear of the jeep). He goes down, it cut through his jeans, and he's in a bit of pain. We were still stuck, so he had to wait another 15 minutes or so before we got out to take him to the hospital. They had to ultrasound him, he was fine, but was out of commission for awhile. Did he mention it was his 18th birthday? I gave him the frayed end as a gift. I also got the whole thing on video.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

your rich!..

If you have it on video,send it in to "America's Funniest Video's!"...nearly every "nut shot" video wins the 10 grand prize!..

I was sitting in the middle of a Ford 4x4 cab that was pulling a stuck Jeep out of the ice and water on some power lines years ago--we only had a long chain,and I ducked when we took off and tried to yank the Jeep out--good thing I did,the bumper ripped right off, and came thru the Ford's back window,and out the windsheild!..I got some nasty cuts on my back and neck,but was lucky my head wasn't removed....:eek1: ..it was a cold ride home with no windsheild or back window--it was 20 degrees out!..:doah:

I think a few of the Mythbusters shows are not set up right...like,whoever heard of a 40" woofer driven by a driveshaft and a crank???...how bout testing REAL audio amps and speakers?...the cable snapping episode was bogus too,they could have ripped that pig in two if they set the cable up right...I also cringe when they wreck decent looking vintage cars ,like the "catapault driveshaft" one..

But Carrie Byron still looks good!..:wink1: ..she makes me watch it,even when its lame!..she's the best thing on the show most of the time..:laugh:

16. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Sounds like we need to stop helping stuck heeps! :haha: