Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

N.C. Here I Come (with a beer question)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Aug 16, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Story

Stronger beer on its way to N.C.
    Area brewers to start shipping soon

ASHEVILLE — A wide variety of “big” brews will be in North Carolina within days after Gov. Mike Easley gave is final OK to legislation allowing beers with up to 15 percent alcohol content to be sold in the state.

With a stroke of his pen Saturday, Easley swept away the old 6 percent limit on beer strength.

The General Assembly had already approved the change, raising maximum beer strength from 6 percent to 15 percent alcohol.

“It’s done,” said Julie Bradford, who helped lead a statewide grass-roots campaign called Pop the Cap, which pushed for the change. “I wasn’t going to celebrate until it was definite.”

Local brewers in Asheville have been gearing up: Higher-alcohol beers are being made by Highland Brewing and Green Man Brewing of Asheville and Pisgah Brewing of Black Mountain.

But these new beers won’t be cheap: Wine-sized bottles could sell for $10 to $12 or more.

On Monday, area beer distributors were busy lining up shipments of draft and bottled brews into the state.

“We are looking at having product by the end of the week or by the first of next week,” said Dave Kemper, on-premise director of Empire Distributing of North Carolina, which will carry beers by Ommegang (a famed Belgian-style brewer in Cooperstown, N.Y.), as well as well as the Belgian brews Duvel and Rodenbach.

Meanwhile, Skyland Distributing of Asheville will offer stronger products from Rogue, “which will be shipped at the end of this week, or as soon as the state approves the labels,” said Gerry Sigmon.

His company will also carry “big” beers from Bridgeport Brewing Co. of Portland, Ore., and Terrapin Brewing of Athens, Ga., and others.

Until the change, North Carolina had been one of only six states limiting beer to 6 percent alcohol or less.

About 2 1/2 years ago, a group of passionate beer drinkers organized Pop the Cap, began raising money and hired a lobbyist to push for the change.

Some lawmakers opposed raising beer strength, citing fears of underage drinking or increased alcohol-related accidents. Among those against the change was the Christian Action League, whose executive director, the Rev. Mark Creech, said lawmakers had given “little regard to the public’s health.”

But Pop the Cap supporters said the change was about choice. And that since higher-alcohol beers would be more costly and have stronger unusual flavors, they would not be the choice of teens or alcohol abusers.

The Question

What is the legal % of alchol where you live. I believe that it is 6% here.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Goody goody :bow:

Notice my location :D

3. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

sweet, sometimes i love NC...o yea dont matter to me anyway im underage. :whistle:

4. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

lucky asses. Oklahoma: 3.2% (that's no typo)

5. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

I think Iowa is 5.9%

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i remember drinking steele reserve while in kentuckasee :D 8.11 or 11.8 cannot rememebr as i am on ocasion slightly dyslexic and was always drunk when reading the beer can :D

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I believe Ca. has no limit, but beer must be labeled with alcoholic content:

Business and Professions Code 25204(b) - Any beer container sold within this state that contains more than 5.7 percent alcohol by volume shall include a statement of alcoholic content.