Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

N ew (rebuilt) injector pump question.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ringer, May 30, 2004.

1. ringer

ringer Registered Member

When replacing the injector pump with a new (rebuilt) unit, will the new unit be scribed on the mounting flange by the rebuilder?? My service manual just indicates bolting the new pump up to the engine beeing sure to align the marks.

Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This sucks:

Off their website:
    We are currently not able to handle to handle rebuilds of this pump due to our order backlog.
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. ringer

ringer Registered Member

Thanks for the responces, but let me clarify just to make sure I am clear on what I am doing.

If the rebuilt pump does indeed come scribed already, is the scribe mark on the block cover a factory mark??

This would have to be the case wouldnt it? If not, the marks on rebuilt pumps would only be correct for the original motor.

If the rebuilt pu,mp has no mark, can I just put a mark on the pump at the same place as the orinal pump?

Sorry, trying to make sure I do not screww anything up.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

You're right, each motor left the factory with a custom scribe mark. The factory would set the timing, and then make the mark for future reference. The rebuilt pump will have the scribe mark left from the original setting, not the rebuilder. So, when you install the new pump and line up the marks, the timing will be close, but probably not perfect. The best thing to do is line up the marks, start the engine, and if necessary, adjust the timing to get the right amount of diesel "rattle." Of course, adjust the timing with the engine off. Once you get the timing set where you think is about right, it would be a good idea to get it checked by someone who has a diesel timing light.

I ran mine for years having just set the timing by the hearing method. I had it checked after that, and it was nearly spot on where I wanted it performance wise, which was advanced more than the factory specs.

Casey