Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

N00b

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by HailStorm, Oct 6, 2002.

1. HailStorm

HailStorm Registered Member

How hard would it be to swap in an Allison tranny and cat (or detroit) diesel into a mid to late 80's suburban?

God, am I feeling ambitious tonight......

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

How bigga shoe-horn you got?

3. HailStorm

i got me a sawzall, and a BFH, and hopefully a lot of luck, anything else that would be useful?

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey brother!!!! Just one hint- before you post a question use the "search" tool. Either that or spend a few minutes scanning the forums to see if the subject you're talking about has been brought up recently. You'll notice that a post about Cat diesels is about 5 posts below this one..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Maybe you could send the guy a PM and ask him for some details.

Anyhow, here's the link to the post: LINK TO THE CAT POST

5. HailStorm

i actually saw that one, but nothing was talked about installing it. THat is why i started this thread, thanks though.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Look up a 3116/3126 Cat - that's just about the smallest one you will find today. Even then, the thing is a good 42" long, and weighs close to 1500lbs. Puts it in the same league as the C8.3L Cummins and DT466/530 Navistar.

Check out the fire-wall mods on this F350 with a C8.3L:
    pics

Unless you are prepared for major surgery, I'd stick with a 5.9L Cummins, 6.5L Turbo (Savana/Express uses a different all-metric engine in a more streamlined package) or Navistar T444E (aka Powerstroke).

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you read that post on the Cat, you must have read the one from me about the perkins in a blazer.
    Well I am one that believes that almost anything can be done, but I do a lot of research before I even ask those questions.
    My advise is to talk directly with the guy that has the cat, maybe he can give you measurments, so you can check what needs to be done.
    Sawzall is the least of the tools you should need, it more engineering the mounting points, the weight balance and the adapter to whatever trans you intend to use.
    The Alisson has been mated to a bunch of engines, I know that in Brazil they mated it to a large Mercedes diesel in a bus GM mates it to their new Isuzu diesel, and Internationnal mated it to their big blocks in the School busses.
    Go to junkyards measure parts and talk to the people there, I am sure they have seen more combinations than we can imagine.
    If you need help designing the mounts or fit, don't hesitate to ask me directly, I have a lot of projects adapting things that were not meant to be.
    IceMan