Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

N208 Transfer Case Gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Oct 27, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

My 1983 K5 N208 transfer case has a steady leak, don't mind keep filling it up but it does mess up my parking space pretty bad :rolleyes:

I've never taken one apart - could you please confirm if this is possible:

Can I take it off, clean it up, undo the bolts that run around it and seem to join the front part and the rear part, and replace a gasket?

It seems the leak is from where the two sides meet (front and back). I also see there's bolts holding the two sides together. I assume the transfer case can be split open by removing these bolts, and that there's a gasket between the two sides. I'm also assuming that replacing this gasket will stop the leak. The transfer case works fine in all other regards. My repair manual only details the inside workings and adjustments, says nothing about a simple gasket. Or maybe I'm not reading it right.

Is there a gasket that runs around the two edges that meet, and would a simple RTV bead do the job (like with the diff cover)?

I'm about to place an order for various gaskets, and I'm wondering if what I'm thinking makes sense so that I can order the gasket.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

RTV will be fine . I opened up 2 , my old one , and my new one . Both had only RTV . The case itself hasn't leaked yet , just that normal little bit out the slip occassionally .

Be aware of the littlle needle bearings upon disassembly . There is a post on here somewhere whre the exploded view is . Have to search for it .

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I left mine mounted under my K5, unbolted the tail cone, then unbolted the back half. I cleaned everything up, RTV'ed the crap out of it, bolted it together and I haven't had a problem since. That was 2 months and a couple of wheeling trips ago. :D

Rick

4. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Yesiree! That's the way I like it - don't even have to lower it. Thanks guys. Plus the bonus of not buying the gasket. Gotta love RTV.

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

You need to use an anaerobic sealant (cures without air) for the best results.

You can get a small tube at the Chevy dealer for a couple of bucks. This is what the factory recommends for your trasfer case.

GM part # 1052942 "Gasket Maker"

I used it and have had zero leaks since.