Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nacona Run

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by Highliner, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Highliner

Highliner Registered Member

Did you guys ever decide on a final date? I could have swore I saw the 22nd and 23rd somewhere, but now I can't find it. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Nocona Run

The 22nd & 23rd are the dates of the run in Central Tx. I would like to go somewhere on the 29th, but haven't decided yet. And no, I don't believe a final date was decided.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm up for the 29th if everyone agrees. Any sooner and my junk wont be running right. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

I'm all for the 29th it sounds like a blast. I know Highliner and my self would be there. Who knows by the 29th I may not have to hitch a ride.

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I should have my junk ready by then. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif That was the reason I posted that date, seemed that general consensus was that everyone could make it then. What type of trails does everyone want to run? Sorry, but I am not famaliar w/ many people's rigs. Sluggo, tx85gmc, Luke, are you guys going? I plan to be there.

6. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

I know from chatting with Highliner that we both are amatuers at rocks. In fact I have never tried a rock trail. I like hill climbs and prefer MUDD. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

REALLY don't like mud. Just a personal opinion, some people do, I don't. Mainly stay on the rocks. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I hate mud...wouldn't mind doing something in the rocks or general trail rides, hillclimbs, whatever. My K5 is mostly stock drivetrain wise except for 3/4 ton axles and 4.10's, locked in the rear and 38's.

9. Highliner

Highliner Registered Member

I'm up for any kind of trails. I may end up watching the harder rock ones though... Maybe I could video everyone else... Still, sounds like a good time if enough people go.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I think I could make a run on the 29th. I spent some time with the baby this weekend. Had to replace the rear diff cover gasket. All looked good inside. Was going to replace the rear pinion seal, but really didn't feel like tearing the whole rear end apart to get that dang blasted pinion out of the yoke. But, did find my rear u-joint was toast. One of the caps was all rusted inside and junk. Sanded it all down and replaced just the cap. Will see how it does for a bit before I replace the whole joint. Also did an engine oil change. Hope to have my new spare tire by then as well.

I have never done rocks and don't want to do anything extreme or severe. I have a big family trip in late-july to colorado and don't want any major breakage between now and then, but would love to at least do some wheeling and scouting. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

tx85gmc- What do you mean you don't want any major carnage? You still the guy that carries spare F&R 10 bolts? Rear 1350 U-Joints for mine are only $10.33 for Amer. Dana/Spicer, just buy a new one. Your 1310's have to be cheaper than mine. I will be game for some of the harder trails to break in some of the new work on the K5. Steering and axle wrap issues should be non-existent by then /forums/images/icons/smile.gif , along w/ my bank account /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . Hope to have some bigger tires by then, don't know. Just depends on how much Sunray wants for me to get my K5 back. Need to sell off more parts.

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Yeah I carry spares. But, I am getting ready to go on a 1600 mile roundtrip pulling a 3,000 lb camper with the family. We are going to Colorado for some wheeling. And we will be alone. i don't want to overly stress something and have to replace one of those shafts on the side of the highway somewhere in po-dunk TX or NM. On the u-joint, yeah they are cheap. Problem is getting the sucker out. I need to go by Harbor Freight and get one of those ball-joint/u-joint press thingies. Last time I used the BFH/socket method. Took forever! I hear with one of those hand presses they take only a few minutes.

13. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

How much are the press things for getting the U-Joint out? Would be good for keeping in the tool box on the trail.

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Here is the one I have heard about. It shows on their website for $55. I checked with the store in richardson and they don't carry that in stock.

15. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Does it work w/ a D60 or 14 bolt? Says it works w/ D44. You can buy one, then I will see if it works on mine! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Butch has one of these, i think. I borrowed it before. I think the D44 is in reference to the ball joints. After all, it is a 4-in-1 Ball Joint tool. But, being a handy little press, it works great for u-joints, too. I will let you know what I come up with.

I think there are some others on this board that have used this tool before for u-joints. I will search first. If I don't find the post I recall, I will post something in the main board to get some details before buying.