Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Naked women everywhere

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Mar 23, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

O.k. now that every one is listening, I know everyone has done some sort of cheap modification/customization that you are proud of. As simple or complicated as it may be lets hear about every ones simple upgrades, conversions, modifications you have performed. Share the one you are most proud of... lets hear uhmmm

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

that was a pretty interesting way to get attention.....

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, if you have a stick shift, my hand throttle on the stick works great. Used a BMX bike lever, so it revs like you gas pedal on the floor. Let go and it goes back to idle, dont have to move it back and forth like the Rubicon Express one.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

4. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

OK, something cheap, easy and usefull that I have never seen mentioned on this list.
    A short chain/cable that can be attached on your front/rear axle and the chassis, 2" to 3" longer as the distance axle to chassis.
    This way, in case of a flat tire/tire change, and you use a hi-lift/jack-all, you don't have to lift the whole suspension to the end before the tire is free of the ground.
    Anyone uses this cheap trick ?
    I do since over 30 years of 4x4's.

fredd

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have to use it! Love Flex. I use a larger chain I carry and just make it short with the hooks.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

6. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

what? throttle on the stick shift? I don't get it.

Only mod I've done is that center-console lift that was posted a while back. Lift's the center console up about 5" so it acts as an arm rest and provided a little under console storage space for long stuff that I need easy access too.

[​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

first off, ya bastard, that was a cheap trick to get our attention. however, since you have my attention....

the raised console thing that steve88 mentioned is from me. very cool, inexpensive trick. i see stock blazers and doncos, and i can't imagine my box on the floor like that. just want my credit of 2 cents, please.
    next favorite is the modified wink mirror (remember those from your mini truck days?). i bought two of the 4-panel mirrors, and cut one panel off of one, and the other end (not the whole panel) off of the other mirror. i fabbed a square gutter and mounted the two mirrors to the channel. now i have the advantages of a wink (incredibly wide rear view, side 'blind spot' views), without the dorky look of a small mirror in a wide truck.
    coupled with the overhead shelf/storage thingie form jc whitney or where-ever, it fills up my dead space above very nicely. and the shelf components give me a place for switches, or a cb, if i was a little bit more country.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Well, the largest mod I've done is to replace the intake manifold and carb with new Edelbrock stuff.

Now, the hardest thing I've done, however, is cleaning the engine block with all kinds of solvents I could find and painting it. It was worth the effort, though. It looks very nice, after installing a dress-up kit.

Now I'm starting another tough job. Cleaning the complete underneath of my Blazer I'll be removing evey drop of dirt and applying some rubberized sealant.

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

9. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

All the honor is your's Delta9. I just kept fogetting who I owed my gratitude to! [​IMG]

BTW: got any plans for a home-made overhead console? I'd like to build one...

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I made a panel out of plexiglass that holds my ARB and light switches that fits in my ashtray, all I had to do is pull the tray part out and drill a few holes for the plate to attach to, if I want to go back I just remove the plate and insert the tray. This makes for an awesome hidden panel that is easy to get to. Also I installed under the dash a 3 port power strip (no need for the lighter now).

Keep these coming and I will put them on a page in the tech section!!

Steve

11. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hmm mods ehh?
    How about swapping a 84 body onto a 79 frame? How about rebuilding a 69 350 to 355? How about swapping a front clip from a 78 onto a 79 chassis? Custom made center consol? Hmm shall I go on? Coming up now is custom wood side bed panels for speakers and amp racks, and alluminum dash to hold digital gauges.

Thats about it for now

Zack Carlson

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear! GOT HER STARTED MARCH 20TH!!!!

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Here's a little more explanation for the hand throttle mounted on the shifter.....
    Almost all of the serious fourwheelers in my club with manual transmissions have mounted some sort of lever on the shifter that they can use to control the throttle, why....because there are three pedals and most people I know only have 2 legs. The hand throttle comes in really handy on steep, rough hills if you have to stop and then try to get going again because you can use your legs for the clutch and brake, and use your hand for the throttle.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Also or instead of a hand throtle you can go with a hand brake or Mico Lever-Lock!
    Very cool and cures the same idea of only have two feet and needing three!
    You simply move the lever into the lock position when pressure is applied via brake pedel and now your throtle foot is free!! Then when you start the climb again slowly relising the lock keeps ya from rollin backwards.
    I just got one for my 72K5 and will let anyone who is interested after I get it installed how it works.
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

14. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

very cool, hadn't thought of that!

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

15. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Since I started this message I may as well contribute, Thanks to a few people on this board I heard about steering wheels off of differant makes of cars that bolt right up. I found a leather wrapped really sporty steering wheel with a grey chevy emblem in a 89' cavalier. It bolted right up, and gives a much sportier look. thanks guys. oh yeah it cost 8 bucks too... cant beat that...

16. cocky

cocky Registered Member

Burt4x4,
    i was curious about your Mico Lever Lock. is that the same as a line lock? I will have to do something about my e brake b/c my rollcage is going to block the foot pedal. E-mail if you want cocky70blzr@hotmail.com

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The lever lock will only hold the line pressure for a few hours so it's not a good replacement for an e-brake!
    It is instaled in series with an exsisting brake line and just holds the presure to the brakes but the presure will fade in time.
    [www.mico.com]
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

18. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't have any vehicle tricks (that I can think of, anyway), but I've got a couple tool tips.
    1. If you need more leverage on a wrench or ratchet to break that d@mn bolt loose, but don't have a pipe or breaker bar, use a second combination wrench. Put the box end of the 2nd wrench over the ratchet handle, or put it into the open end of the 1st wrench. The double wrench is hard to explain w/o photos, but if you just grab a couple wrenches and screw around with em, you'll figure it out. <font color=red>CAUTION!!<font color=black> Make sure the 2nd wrench is bigger than the 1st, and don't overstress your ratchet-they're not really made for breaking TQ anyway. Shield your eyes somehow (always use safety glasses, and save your eyesight!) in case the 2nd wrench breaks.
    2. Craftsman sells "socket plugs" you can put in a socket, so you can turn it with a wrench. Those of you who have skills and equipment to fabricate stuff can probably make your own & save a few bucks.
    3. Stubborn Phillips screws?? Tap on the end with a hammer, wrench, rock, etc. while turning. Same concept as an impact driver, but cheaper and less violent & stressful (unless you dig that sort of thing...)
    That's my 2 cents' worth.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

20. Well for those damn states that have lift laws(Texas), I had to lower my headlights to make the maximum height allowed(51" to center of the low beam light) Mine were 64" to the lower light so something had to be done so those TX cops would stay off of my butt !! I built a bracket/mount for the lights to go side by side under the bumper. The bracket was easy to fab, but the pieces that hold the lights were pains to make so the lights were still adjustable. Here is a pic of the Burb showing of my custom lowered headlights !!!
    [​IMG]

<font color=red>The last time I tried smokin' my tires, the mud put'em out !! BigBurb