Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Name that doo-dad!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm sure for some us out here there our some parts on our K5s that we don't have a clue what they are. I think alot of people might wanna give this post a try and see if your question is solved.

My question is on an '82 K5 w/ crate 350. There's little thing over my oil filter comming out of the engine that has a big nut on it and a plug with three wires going into it. What is it and what does it do?

[​IMG]

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Posssibly a oil pressure kill switch?Oil pressure get's too low and the engine shut's off.This is a TOTAL guess.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a good possibilty. I think one of the wires goes up to the sender up top (guessing really, cant quite remember) All I know is that it seemed to make its appearance from 1981 on.

[​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like the oil presure switch used to control the Electric choke and mix control solonoide on the 80's carb. If that is what it is it cuts power when no oil presure. sort of a fail safe so the electric choke doesn't cycle if you were to say turn the key to "Run" to listen to the radio then 15 minutes later you can still start the truck because the choke never activated. I have seen them there and a T in the port behind the distributor. The sender with a single wires is for the gage or idiot light depending how the truck was optioned.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>