Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NAME THAT NOISE???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 81jimmyslt, Oct 8, 2003.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I know this can be hard but I just need more ideas of what can be wrong before I start replacing things.

When I am driving about 18-25mph and start coasting I get this loud screeching rotaional noise coming from the driver side. This is the only time I hear it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif its real LOUD! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Rea uh rea uh rea uh
    It's driving me nuts, I'm going to jack the truck up and start playing with each corner for now. The only thing I've come up with is Rear axle u-joint or front, my friend thinks it might be an axle bearing??????

Any Ideas?????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I'll take a stab at the t case end u joint. May not be any bearings left. Crawl under and start takin' stuff apart.

John

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

try pulling each drive shaft and drive it around the block or something, that will eliminate the driveshaft as being the problem. It sounds to me like a brake, a wheel bearing will cause bad vibrations, if you have a brake that is glazed or wore down to the squeaker that would cause the same problem. A front wheel bearing will usually cause a groaning sound all the time. U-joints will usaully squeak all the time and vibrate too. Just my 2 cents. hope that helps and good luck.

Krennen

4. 81jimmyslt

I'm pretty sure it's not a u-joint have change many of those. Still a possibility though and I changed my front wheelbearings last summer. ALthough there could be something wrong with them still. ?????????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any other ideas???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Yea now this is what i like lets play Vegas on who guesse it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    any ways my $$ goes on the rear end how much play - slop ya got in the shaft when its sitten still ??
    next what rear end are ya running how many miles
    next remove the rear dif cover and see how much play ya have in the center pin that holds the spiders in
    there Should be NONE well les then 1/32" that is were i think your problem lies the coasting reverses the forces n the carrier hope that makes sense
    best of luck 2 ya
    and ya Better let us know what it turns out to be /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    R

6. 81jimmyslt

I have a 12bolt out back, with over 200,000 miles on it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif that's not good. This is what I don't want to hear /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I guess it's that time though. I was trying to delay any axle $$$ until after the engine but it looks like the truck might be seeing 1 ton sooner than expected. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

If I had to guess it would be a wheel bearing - possiblt overtightened when replaced. My brother had a car that sounded something like what you described.

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It sounds to me like a brake

[/ QUOTE ]

it would be cheaper to check the brakes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif first.

9. 81jimmyslt

Ok so I borrowed a torque wrench, jacked up the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and took the front passenger tire off and the whole rotor has about a quater inch play in it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif When I had the tire in the air It had a lot of play and kind of made some noise.

good trouble shooting chris and others.

to double check would this play would mean the wheel bearing right????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok guys I know this can be hard but I just need more ideas of what can be wrong before I start replacing things.

When I am driving about 18-25mph and start coasting I get this loud screeching rotaional noise coming from the driver side. This is the only time I hear it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif its real LOUD! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Rea uh rea uh rea uh
    It's driving me nuts, I'm going to jack the truck up and start playing with each corner for now. The only thing I've come up with is Rear axle u-joint or front, my friend thinks it might be an axle bearing??????

Any Ideas?????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]maybe could be a u joint screaming like its <font color="white"> BRB's sheep in heat </font> dry, needing to be greased like <font color="white"> BRB's schlong </font> badly. or possibly the belts are recieving too much slack when you lett off the gas <font color="white"> like BRB laying down on a goat </font> but prolly the u joint dry /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifId say start greasing good <font color="pink"> BUBBA cuz here comes the bull </font>
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifgood luck

11. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    to double check would this play would mean the wheel bearing right?????

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as when you move your rotor top to bottom, your not moving some really worn out balljoints, or side to side, real worn tie rods.

12. 81jimmyslt

Ok guys so I got the tools and parts I needed (Kragen sux)
    I started taking the right front wheel of etc. When I was pulling pieces out I got to the adjusting nuts to find out they were so loose I just used a screwdriver to unscrew it. After this I checked the wheel bearings and decided there was no damage. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif So I Put everything back together retorqued everything1!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I had the tire back on and in the air I tried shaking it as before no movement...and tire spins /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

anyways took for test drive and the loud screeching is /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif is gone

Thanx for all the advice guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif