Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Name that Stevie Ray tune

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OneInTheSun, Aug 27, 2002.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Just realized today's the 12th anniversary of his death.

OK, now someone has to know this song. On one of VH1's SRV shows (Legends or Behind the Music), there's a song that he takes a break and gives a little talk about kicking his habits. Then he launches into a wicked solo. Anyone know what song that is?

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I think it's VooDoo Child. But I didn't think it's been 12 years, has it?

3. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

i was thinking that too, is that the one where he's jamming and he drops his pick, and he sort of stretches the note while he picks up his pick, and goes on to make it sound like he meant to do that

4. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Yup - died in 1990. Time flies, huh? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't remember it being Voodoo Child. (If it is, I have to find that version.) It was more of a mellow song. The band kept playing while he spoke. "I wanted to stay at the party forever - but it doesn't work that way." Good stuff. They only showed a little of the solo before cutting to a commercial. Started out with a few heavy, drawn out bends - the kind that just grab you. Then he rips into it. Just pure SRV soul.

5. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Yeah - I didn't realize it had been 12 YEARS already! Only seems like yesterday.
    I have a bootleg recording of "Floodin' Down in Texas" that was recorded live at
    some festival in Europe. Don't know if it's made it's way to any of the post crash
    CD's or not, but it has to be THE most incredible performance by ANYONE! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Anybody ever see the Austin City Limits concert? Don't know if it's been shown
    in a while. I saw it on TNN - The NASHVILLE Network by gawd! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif