Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Name that tune in four thudds or less.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talison79, Mar 10, 2001.

1. talison79

talison79 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I have a problem. I am getting this strange sound that I can't track down. When using moderate to heavy acceleration and turning left I'm getting this hollow low pitched thudding, it coming from the rear passenger side. When I let off it goes away. It sounds like a tire rubbing but its not. I have checked everything out and the joints look good, there is no vibration at any speed, nothing is rubbing or binding. I haven't lifted it yet so I don't think its drive shaft bind, 79 running 32's stock drive train 350, 350, 203. I can not figure it out. Any ideas?

Talison79

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd start with rear tranny mount....check motor mounts...and look for fluid leak near the axle seals....the tranny mount is sometimes hard to check, so I use a large pry bar or bottle jack to check for movement...you may also look for evidence of movement of the axle on the spring, but I sorta doubt that....driveshaft noise (bad bearing) will also travel and be hard to pin down sometimes....good luck..JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    check your tranny and engine mounts. If those are bad it will cause knocking under acceleration. Escecially if it is while turning. I would alsot double check those U joints. That is another common symptom. If it is full time (203 without hubs) than it may be the ujoints at the wheels on the front axle. Good luck

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5