Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

name these parts on my 6.2L. (new part/pic added)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Mar 28, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so i'm trying to get my rebuilt 6.2 up and running. my buddy has the same k5 as me, so i've got the cover to the puzzle, but both our rigs have had a great deal of farmer fixing done to them. so his truck has some stuff on the engine which i don't have and i want to know what these things are b/c if they're important, i want them too. :D

i'll post a pic my engine first, then his to compare.

first, he's got a couple electical connections which i don't have - mine were missing when i bought the truck, and it ran then, just want to know how important/what it's for, etc. the red and white connections go into the back of the boxes on the second pic.

P1000381.JPG

P1000380copy.JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  2. colbystephens

i don't have the thing which is direclty to the right of the fuel line which is going into the injection pump. the piece i'm referring to has a green wire coming out of it at the bottom of the picture, it is also to the left of the spring and direclty below the plastic hose.

P1000384copy.JPG

3. colbystephens

what is this connections supposed to go to? it's grouped with the wires which connect to the alternator.

P1000382copy.JPG

4. colbystephens

so my new starter solenoid came with these extra parts (nuts/bolt/washer/copper tube), and i don't know where they are supposed to go. the starter works fine with out them - should i be concerned? what is the value of the post on the solenoid on the bottom of the pic? i have three wires which connect to two of the posts of the starter - the larger post to the left in the pic, and the skinny post up top in the pic. that leaves one post which isn't used - what's the deal?

P1000401copy.JPG

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know what the two connections are in the top pictures. The solenoid in the second post appears to be a fast idle solenoid for A/C maybe?? The connector on the third post: I have no idea. And finaly in the final post you should have 2 wires and the battery cable going to the large post, and 1 small trigger wire going to the small terminal at the top of the photo which is closest to the block when the started is installed. The extra little parts with your starter are included because some starter solenoids mount a little differenty and are required for the brass connection coming out of the side of the starter.

Hope this helps a little.

Mike

6. LovesDunes

LovesDunes Registered Member

I think it sucks that I can't see the pictures to help. Email them to me if you want. pete@hotshotracing.com

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Pic 1. Wires: I have no idea. I don't have anything like those on the drivers side of the engine on my '89

Pic 2. Vacume solenoid valves to control the EGR for light duty engines. I removed my EGR and the valves that goes with it. (I had three of them mounted together)

Pic 3. High Idle solenoid, for ALL 6.2's. You'll notice your (green) wire attaches to the pump HPCA (high pressure cold advance valve), then goes to the temp switch on the lower passenger side of block. Alot of hard-to-start problems can be attributed to these.

Pic 4. Starter with extra parts.

Pic 5. More wires: again no help, nothing like that on my Jimmy. Keep in mind that alot of these wiring harnesses are the same for various models (gas, diesel, A/C, cruise control, etc.). It's not too surprising to find connection that don't connect for your truck/car :D

8. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

I'll fill in a few blanks

Pic. 1 - EGR wiring. tell your buddy to tuck them away

Pic. 2 - EGR selenoids. One controls the flap inside the drivers side exhaust manifold. Tell your buddy to remove them and block off the vacumm lines and remove the EGR stuff from the intake if it's still there

Pic. 3 - I agree with the high idel solenoid, good to have

Pic. 5 - Transmission control plug, when I took my 700R4 out I disconnected it and left it danging ... never had a problem

9. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Those parts are vacume solenoids for operating the Exhaust Gas Rrecirculation (EGR) valve and the Exhaust Pressure Valve. Depending on the year of you r truck, they are controlled by switches on you IP or, in later years by the computer. Since you live here in California....where your emissions system is supposed to "be intact" but need not work you have a choice to make. Are you going to 1) remove it, 2) keep it but disconnect it or 3) keep it and make it work?

10. maynardogle

The one circled in red is for the alternator...I'm pretty sure...

11. maynardogle

Oh yeah..and those two bolts...one of which is backed out of the waterpump, should be the ones with the studs on top. The lower bracket for the alternator bolts on top of those two.

12. maynardogle

There are four connections on the back of the solenoid...which in your case appears to be a fit all for both gas and diesel applications. One of those small connections, (the inboard one I thinK) keys the solenoid and it pulls in an connects the big motor to the battery. The other one goes hot only when the starter is runnning and is used (on some models) to tell other things in the vehicle that the starter is engaged. Hook up the wires that dangle in the vicinity the same as on you buddys truck and you should be fine.

13. colbystephens

i still have my 700r4 - where does it connect? it's not the connection which goes to the drivers side of the tranny, and i don't think it's even long enough to reach any other part of the tranny for that matter.

14. colbystephens

ah, i found another picture which i'm curious about. this is my drivers side exhaust manifold. i'm curious, what is the purpose of the butterfly valve and the *doohicky* which sticks off to the side?

P1000388.JPG

15. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Heat riser maybe? I got that in my gasser. Its supposed to close to hold the warm air on the engine during cold starts if i understand it right. The doohicky should be what opertates the valve. Mine is run off vaccume, not sure bout yours though since its a diesel.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its A ...

EPR Valve!..does work like a heat riser on a gas motor,but works in conjunction with the EGR valve on a 6.2...shuts off one exhaust manifold and re-routes the exhaust to an EGR passage,at the same time the EGR opens and sends it back into the cylinders...both are dissconnected on my 6.2,and I dont notice any ill effects.."J" code 6.2's had neither,or at least no EGR valve..:crazy:

17. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Doh! Well it was a good guess I reckon. Thanks for keepin me in line diesel :waytogo: