Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Name this country

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shawn, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

709,000 Regular (active duty) service personnel.
    293,000 reserve troops.
    Eight standing Army divisions.
    20 Air Force and Navy air wings with 2,000 combat aircraft.
    232 Strategic bombers.
    13 Strategic ballistic missile submarines with
    3,114 nuclear warheads on 232 missiles
    500 ICBMs with 1,950 warheads
    Four aircraft carriers
    All the support bases, shipyards and logistical assets needed to sustain
    such a force.

Is this country Russia? . . . No
    Red China? . . . No
    Great Britain? . . . Wrong Again
    USA? . . . Hardly
    Give up??

Well, don't feel too bad if you are unable to identify this global superpower because this country no longer exists. It has vanished.

These are the American military forces that have disappeared since the 1992 election of Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

Sleep well America. It's time to vote!!!!!!

VOTE BUSH!!!!!

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

3. Shawn

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You forgot one number:

72,000 less K5's on the trail

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

ALL THOSE DEPLETIONS, AND WE STILL ARE THE NUMBER ONE SUPER-POWER ON THE EARTH.
    i don't mind the cutbacks in military spending, but the money went nowhere.
    let's start dumping a bucket-load of money into our education process. i don't want to start a flame war with anyone pro-military, but i think it's a crime that our schools are as [censored] up as they are. goddamned politicians make money hand over fist, and they say there's not enough for social security, or wage increases for teachers.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

what also pisses me off about that, is the fact that gore keeps saying how the size of the government workforce has shrunk under the clinton administration. No sh#&, with soldiers as employees of uncle sam no wonder "government has shrunk". Just think, a couple of neutron bombs from the Chinese and we'll have nothing to worry about, thanks Bill!

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Damn! That is seriously scary! I want my children to be safe in this country. My grandfather served in the Pacific under Admiral Halsey in WWII. He is disgusted at what is happening with the military and the country for that matter. Seems like under the current administration, no one even seems to care about the flag anymore. I was the only one flying the flag on Flag Day on my street. I remember as a child during the Reagan era driving down the street and EVERY house had a flag on the front porch. We need to get someone in office that will bring our great nation back the patriotism and honor that came with being an American.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that made me about vomit. Now, I am in the US Marines right now, but bear with me. It said:
    "THINK ABOUT HOW MANY CHILDREN COULD HAVE BEEN EDUCATED FOR THE COST OF THOSE B-2'S."
    Sounds simple eh? Kinda has a nice ring to it, Johnny and Sally going to Miss So-and-So's class everyday. Oh, but wait, if it wasn't for our weaponry superiority, our kids would be learning history Nazi/Imperialist/Communist/whatever style. I wanted to find the owner and hit them. Just to make it worse, right next to it was a Clinton/Gore 1996 sticker and next to that was a Gore 2000 sticker. YUCK!!![​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Well, I'm probably going to get kicked off the board for saying this, and I live in Canada so I probably shouldn't comment anyway, but here goes.............

I fully believe that a country should have a well manned, equipped, and trained military force- not only to defend itself but also to lend a hand to other nations that aren't in a position, either due to financial or man-power conditions, to take care of themselves. I also agree with the fact that the US has taken over the role of global watchdog- most troublemakers know that if they take advantage of weaker nations, they will have to endure the might of Uncle Sam and friends.

However, is it really necessary to have, and I quote, 3114 friggin' NUCLEAR WARHEADS???!!! I mean, how many times would that many bombs destroy the earth?? And does anybody out there feel less safe knowing that those are gone? I understand the concept of detente, and that we have to be in a position that will discourage somebody else from firing first, but if it ever came to that point, IT WOULD ALREADY BE TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!

I disagree that your land, air and sea forces should be slowly dismantled. As a unit, they are the toughest and best equipped force in the world, and although they are criticized every time they walk into a country to either lend a hand or kick some ass, most people realize that without them there would be a whole lot more trouble in the world.

The sad part is, and I speak as a father of a beautiful three-year old daughter as well as an unborn baby due Jan.2, is that we DO spend more on defense(and offense) then we do on ensuring that our next generation will be well educated and healthy. I realize this goes hand in hand with knowing that our country will always be safe, but if you took 3% of the 850 BILLION DOLLARS you spend on the military annually and added it to the budget for health and education, would it really affect the big picture???

Sorry in advance to those I've offended........

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I hope I don't rub anyone the wrong way, but here it goes. First of all education is important, very important. I do not deny that, I'm actually living proof of it.
    BUT, a country without a strong military force is a country at the vulnurablity of all the world's terrorists and psycho-run governments. Just think about it. Let's say we totally get rid of the military and shifted all of that money in education. Let's also say that we became nice and friendly with the rest of the world, after all with out any military we can't afford to through stones. Now, five years later we start to reap the rewards of a smarter workforce and our economy booms like no one could imagine. Well guess what, we just became one fat, delicious looking pig! And the rest of the world is starting to get a little hungry. Pork Chops, anyone?
    The lesson is we need both, we need better education AND we need stronger military resources.[​IMG]
    I've done my homework on the issues and the candidates, and I sum it up in one word, BUSH!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

11. Shawn

I agree we could probably live without some of the nuclear war heads but I was just pointing out that our military isn't what it use to be. Just some interesting facts. I agree that more $$$ should be put in education. If Gore is elected, I'll probaby move and end up as your neighbor so I can wheel in Canada. I already have the Canadian accent down since I've worked for 3 different Canadian companies!

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, another vote here for keeping the military strong and in charge - for all the reasons stated - helping protect our kids and our way of life. Also agree we don't need all the nuclear stuff, just enough to keep the 3rd world countries developing their own "honest". If we didn't have any capabilities in that arena, where would we be?

Now, education is very key in this "debate". We as taxpayers need to demand the money we pay out (and it is ridiculous what I pay every year) is used properly. That means good education (with good class sizes and books for everyone) AND a strong military. Don't you ever wonder how much money is pissed away in Washington? Small example - who is doing Gore's job (not that he was doing anything anyway) while he is campaigning? Same goes for all the congressmen and senators that spend months making commercials and kissing babies. Their hired "assistants". And this is only a top level view........imagine what that wasted money could do for us........and our kids..........and our country. 'Nuf said, I could babble on for awhile, but we gotta keep the military strong. No question. Read Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor" - think this guy writes fiction? This subject is the main theme of the book. If you have read all his books, you know he has a lot of "inside info" on the real workings of the world.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at--->http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I'm still in the Army Reserves.. and the Reserves are claiming the numbers are up in recruitment.. As for my Active Duty counterparts I work with when I drill, their moral sucks.. they are all getting out..
    I did my Active Duty time.. and I did it when George Sr.. was pres..Reagan built us back up, George continued the trend.. and it took one "bunghole Bill" to screw it all up.
    My Grandfather(s) fought the damn Nazi's so we could have our freedom... we need a strong military... That's no joke..

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

14. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

You know it's sad when in the land of the FREE, people want to hit you for thinking about their childrens education, over a few stealth bombers. While I agree whole heartedly that our military needs to be the stongest in the world, last time I checked,IT WAS! And forgive me if I don't drop dead with simpathy, because some of them don't feel super about been in the military. If you have children in school, ask their teacher how they feel about their pay and benefits. You don't see soldiers out there buying bullets at the gun shop, because the government can't afford them. You will however find teachers, spending their own money, to buy school supplies for kids that aren't even theirs! The government wastes tons of money every day, Just ask "red dan rather", he'll tell ya. When Reagan was pres, we were in the height of the cold war. It was neccesary to maintain a huge military presence in alot of places, that simply don't need as much power there now. Like it or not, times do change, and a stronge military is essential to this countries future, but were not the nazies, it's not the only thing in our future!

15. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

The only reason we are still a super power is because we haven't been challenged since BILLDO came into power. BILLDO has made us weak and vaulnarable. Just remember everypiece of Military equipment ( Aircraft Carriers, Bombers etc) go to the highest bidder. Saddam, hell Hitler if he was alive. So our own weapons become weapons to kill our own. Unfortunitly this country has becaome a little soft. We have no pride in our militay and Vets. I have lost family in every war since the civil war. "Except Saudi as I had a medical discharge in 89 from the Corp". As a nation we need to remember "God Honor and Country" our children rely on us. In closing remember who ran with BILLDO. GO GEORGE.

16. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

All I have to say is just live over seas for a year or even visit and you will understand how great this country is, and you will see why we need a great military and not just a good military. Just think where the USA spends the money on the military. They spend it right here in the good ole USA. That means that if the USA spend 100 million on a plane that money is going right back into the pockets of the American works. So I just don't understand why we need to cut back. Why not cut back on the D.C. juke and put that money into schools. It just doesn't seem right that there is only 700,000 active people protecting 276 million people.

Donovan

17. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

It's true that we're a smaller force than we were a few short years ago. It's having an effect on our personnel since they're always being told to "do more with less". This would be acceptable if our mission would shrink along with our budget, it hasn't. The mission required of our armed forces has continued to grow while the manning and budget gets smaller. Many of the people leaving the military are doing so because of frustration, not because they don't wish to serve their country. I've been active for over 22 years and can say that we get a lot out of our people today. We're spread thin and leadership has to do a lot of jumping through hoops when things happen in different parts of the world. It's down right scary.

I agree that more needs to be spent on education, but not at the expense of the military. My daughter's school is always short and we as parents come together to make things happen in this area. It might not be popular but I feel that I'll give her the best I can provide and go from there. I only hope that the people complaining about the current government have taken the time to vote for their elected officials. I listen to people complain only to find out that they didn't "take the time to vote". As far as I'm concerned, if they were eligible to vote and didn't then they need to shut-up and be happy with the official they put in office. People look at voting as a right, I look at it as a responsibility. I get the chance to "visit" countries with different forms of government and it makes me see how lucky we are to have this responsibility.

The reference that teachers buy supplies out of their own pockets but the military doesn't must come from someone that isn't in today's military. I see people pulling cash out of their pockets all the time just to keep things going. No, we don't buy bullets but we do buy things to get the vehicles out the door. There are times we need to fix a vehicle for a hot mission and the parts aren't on the shelf (lack of funds for spare parts). We'll buy the parts out of our pockets to get the vehicle out the door. We aren't required or even pressured to do this and it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. The mission will go on and the next vehicle will come in for repairs.

Sorry about getting on my soap box but this is an issue near to me. I don't think people realize how lucky they are to have our military. My mechanics could triple their wages on the outside. I disagree with anyone that thinks the people were better in the "good old days", I've never seen better trained mechanics than we have today. They have to be better because they are asked to do so much more than when I entered the service. We get a bigger bang for the buck out of today's military than we ever have.

Last thing, I know who I want in office and I'll cast my ballot. I hope everyone else does too.

Smitty

18. FWP

FWP CRS

As an Air Force veteran, who served under one of the greatest presidents in US history, Ronald Reagan, I believe the strength of America lies in the people of America. Many ridiculous opinions are rearing their ugly heads, not the sentiment of most people. Nuclear warheads in the Soviet Union are still there, and many middle eastern countries are still trying to get there hands on nukes. Don't be fooled, the US isn't the greatest country in the world because we sit back and watch. You think the attack on the USS Cole would have been tolerated 15 years ago. Here we sit, waiting for Billy boy to get off his heiny, and knock the crap outta whomever was responsible. Time will tell what he does, if anything.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

19. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

BILLDO, that freakin classic!!

You know what, I think I'm gonna change into a bleeding heart liberal. Its no use in fighting the overwhelming illogic of spending those billions of dollars on stealth bombers and ICBMs, we don't need them!!! Lets instead toss those 10s of billions of dollars into our failing schools. The billions already spent obviously isn't enough. And as for vouchers, NO WAY, no personal freedom for you to send you children to the prospering school of your choice. Not in my liberal utopia. I won't worry about all those maniacs in the rest of the world anymore, hey the cold war is over, right?! We'll let the fighting Canadians save our a@@es, ya and the Brits too,(it dosen't matter that they use our weapons, technology, and overwhelming logistics capacity), we'll be safe, sure we will. I won't worry anymore. I'm going to also turn all my "dangerous" weapons into the proper authorities. I just realized I own more assault weapons than the whole "free" population of England! I'm done ranting.
    As for our Canadian friend(s) who posted in this forum, It isn't the American way to infringe on a persons right to free speech, no matter how repulsive or in opposition to an idividuals view. so we won't request you get "kicked out" of coloradok5. But, it is the American way to tell you we don't take kindly to strangers telling us what to do or what to think. Be glad you have thousands of warheads shielding your family, and the shear a@@ kicken might of the US military, FOR FREE....................js

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Excuse me, JimmyDie, but if you read my ENTIRE post instead of just skimming, you would have got the point I was trying to make. Why don't you go back and read it again!!!!

Did I not say that a strong military force is necessary? Oh yes, I did!!!!

Did I support the fact that the US is the Free World's defender? Yep!!!!

Did I say I understand and agree with the concept of nuclear detente? Once again, YES!!!!!

But the thought of "thousands of warheads shielding my family" brings me no joy, only sorrow for the fact that such a situation ever came to be.

All I suggested was that a small portion of your 850 billion dollar defense budget could do a lot of good on other, JUST AS IMPORTANT, areas. Maybe you don't have kids and can't understand where I'm coming from.

And by the way, I personally think that bragging of owning more assault weapons than one of Europe's most densely populated countries is "repulsive", to use your terms.

Just a thought- before you slag Canada, remember where your natural gas and half your electricity come from- you'd look pretty funny polishing your guns in the cold and the dark!!!!